Page 11 of 12

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:57 pm
by spkrman
Fubar wrote:i dont' have comps.. i have compvr... i wouldn't advise running 2250 watts to them it's only temp untill i get a smaller amp but they've been on here for about 2 months as long as your not clipping the amp or distorting the speaker it would be fine... but not many know their limits and whatever..
dont bother getting a smaller amp

headroom is a good thing :)

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:06 pm
by NorthQuad
Well guy's I turned the Bass Boost and the Gain way down from where the guy that installed the system had them. The sub would seem to keep slapping when it would hit certain frequencies anyway. I still couldn't get any thump out of it, I mean the mirror would hardly shake but the sub would snap at me whenever it would be time for a good decibal to kick out. About 30 minutes ago after playing it for about 5 minutes it snapped at me again and now it's blown. It won't even move when I try to push it in. In all my days af abuseing the cheap stuff that would pound for hours without even makeing a stink I've never had a sub seize like this, heck I've never had a sub even blow. I will never buy Kicker again.

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:15 pm
by Scarrell
heeeeey thats no reason to not buy Kicker again.... Comp VR's are good subs, you just got a bad install... but sorry to hear that, what will you go with next? :words

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:53 pm
by NorthQuad
I'm not sure I what kind of sub I will go with. I might listen to the good, bad and ugly list here in the CAC. Those Resonant Engineering subs had a good sound on that Realmofexcursion site. I just need something that can take a bit of abuse and sound very loud with good sound quality. Isn't that what subs are supposed to be all about? I'm just really disapointed at the moment with the ammount of money I spent and the outcome I recieved. What sub should I go with guys?

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:47 pm
by spkrman
Scarrell wrote:heeeeey thats no reason to not buy Kicker again.... Comp VR's are good subs, you just got a bad install... but sorry to hear that, what will you go with next? :words
exactamundo

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:40 pm
by NorthQuad
Well I'm going to try the 12" Kicker Comp VR's again. I've popped two of them with ease even though the Kicker tech said you could plug them into a wall and they wouldn't. I'm just not going to deal with the same guy, he's not going to get any more of my money. I'm going with a local shop here in the city I moved to. The guy gave me a sweet deal over the phone on 2 12" Comp VR's and a slot vented dual box. That should do me fine for the Bass I'm looking for. I'll have it in the truck next Tuesday, I can't wait.

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:38 pm
by audiobass10
NorthQuad wrote:Well I'm going to try the 12" Kicker Comp VR's again. I've popped two of them with ease even though the Kicker tech said you could plug them into a wall and they wouldn't. I'm just not going to deal with the same guy, he's not going to get any more of my money. I'm going with a local shop here in the city I moved to. The guy gave me a sweet deal over the phone on 2 12" Comp VR's and a slot vented dual box. That should do me fine for the Bass I'm looking for. I'll have it in the truck next Tuesday, I can't wait.
lol, the comp VR's are good but I guarantee I could blow one of them in a 120V wall socket in a matter of seconds.

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:02 pm
by spkrman
audiobass10 wrote:lol, the comp VR's are good but I guarantee I could blow one of them in a 120V wall socket in a matter of seconds.
as is true with most woofs

the kicker tech... hmmm?

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:20 am
by GlassWolf
120VAC, 60Hz. the speaker should survive that if it's in an enclosure and the signal is clean. If you're doing this without any suspension for the driver, of course you're going to damage it.
You'd be an idiot to even try it that way.
That aside, if you're blowing subs in your car, it's most likely not the subs.. it's the settings of your amplifier, of a lack of current for that amp causing your problems.

this is like deja vu

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:25 pm
by kevinberry1
KikiTheCat wrote:this is like deja vu
all over again

Just couldn't resist adding Yogi's part :bigwink: