Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

My Comp VR Is Gunna Blow

Post all your general car audio questions here.
spkrman
Senior Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Post by spkrman »

Fubar wrote:i dont' have comps.. i have compvr... i wouldn't advise running 2250 watts to them it's only temp untill i get a smaller amp but they've been on here for about 2 months as long as your not clipping the amp or distorting the speaker it would be fine... but not many know their limits and whatever..
dont bother getting a smaller amp

headroom is a good thing :)
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

Well guy's I turned the Bass Boost and the Gain way down from where the guy that installed the system had them. The sub would seem to keep slapping when it would hit certain frequencies anyway. I still couldn't get any thump out of it, I mean the mirror would hardly shake but the sub would snap at me whenever it would be time for a good decibal to kick out. About 30 minutes ago after playing it for about 5 minutes it snapped at me again and now it's blown. It won't even move when I try to push it in. In all my days af abuseing the cheap stuff that would pound for hours without even makeing a stink I've never had a sub seize like this, heck I've never had a sub even blow. I will never buy Kicker again.
Scarrell
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Carmi, Illinois

Post by Scarrell »

heeeeey thats no reason to not buy Kicker again.... Comp VR's are good subs, you just got a bad install... but sorry to hear that, what will you go with next? :words
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

I'm not sure I what kind of sub I will go with. I might listen to the good, bad and ugly list here in the CAC. Those Resonant Engineering subs had a good sound on that Realmofexcursion site. I just need something that can take a bit of abuse and sound very loud with good sound quality. Isn't that what subs are supposed to be all about? I'm just really disapointed at the moment with the ammount of money I spent and the outcome I recieved. What sub should I go with guys?
spkrman
Senior Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Post by spkrman »

Scarrell wrote:heeeeey thats no reason to not buy Kicker again.... Comp VR's are good subs, you just got a bad install... but sorry to hear that, what will you go with next? :words
exactamundo
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

Well I'm going to try the 12" Kicker Comp VR's again. I've popped two of them with ease even though the Kicker tech said you could plug them into a wall and they wouldn't. I'm just not going to deal with the same guy, he's not going to get any more of my money. I'm going with a local shop here in the city I moved to. The guy gave me a sweet deal over the phone on 2 12" Comp VR's and a slot vented dual box. That should do me fine for the Bass I'm looking for. I'll have it in the truck next Tuesday, I can't wait.
audiobass10
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Cape Coral, Florida

Post by audiobass10 »

NorthQuad wrote:Well I'm going to try the 12" Kicker Comp VR's again. I've popped two of them with ease even though the Kicker tech said you could plug them into a wall and they wouldn't. I'm just not going to deal with the same guy, he's not going to get any more of my money. I'm going with a local shop here in the city I moved to. The guy gave me a sweet deal over the phone on 2 12" Comp VR's and a slot vented dual box. That should do me fine for the Bass I'm looking for. I'll have it in the truck next Tuesday, I can't wait.
lol, the comp VR's are good but I guarantee I could blow one of them in a 120V wall socket in a matter of seconds.
spkrman
Senior Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Post by spkrman »

audiobass10 wrote:lol, the comp VR's are good but I guarantee I could blow one of them in a 120V wall socket in a matter of seconds.
as is true with most woofs

the kicker tech... hmmm?
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

120VAC, 60Hz. the speaker should survive that if it's in an enclosure and the signal is clean. If you're doing this without any suspension for the driver, of course you're going to damage it.
You'd be an idiot to even try it that way.
That aside, if you're blowing subs in your car, it's most likely not the subs.. it's the settings of your amplifier, of a lack of current for that amp causing your problems.

this is like deja vu
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
kevinberry1
Senior Member
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:21 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Post by kevinberry1 »

KikiTheCat wrote:this is like deja vu
all over again

Just couldn't resist adding Yogi's part :bigwink:
Post Reply