Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

6.5V preouts cause problems for some amps?

Car stereo head units, EQ, and DSP questions.
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

actually a lot of people there are rather disliking of PG.. more and mroe so since they shut down the general discussion forum. There's a lot of PG flaming that happens there as well as overhyped worshipping. Most of the good users are leaving that forum now though.

anyway in regards to the Pioneer and 6.5V preouts, from what I've seen they are actually 4V preouts, that produce 6.5V with the boosts turned all the way up.. so for normal operation you'll be fine, getting a 4V signal with boosts leveled out.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
Scarrell
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Carmi, Illinois

Post by Scarrell »

yay this got off topic quick :words
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

I think I got the thread pretty spot on.
4 volt preouts work with nearly anything sold in the last 5 years or so.
I think he'll be fine with any amplifier he picks if it's new.
the pre-outs are only 6.5V at full volume, with the pre-out levels maxed out.
levels should be kept at zero or near it, and volume generally shouldn't go past about 80% of full anyway to avoid clipping the signal, so he'll be fine, remaining at or below 4V if he does these simple things listed above.
a JL amp takes up to 8 volt inputs anyway though so that'd take anything up to and including an Eclipse head unit with 8V preouts.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
Renegadesrun
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Post by Renegadesrun »

There are quite a few 2v amps running around, so there is just cause for concern, but not if you pay attention to what v the amp will take. Anyway. That may be where he heard whatever it was that made him start the thread. In which case, yea 6.5 would not be good. Memphis and low end Arc come to mind right of the top of my head.

The JL is a substantial amp. One of the few i would install and never look back and wonder.
smgreen20
Junior Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lafayette,IN

Post by smgreen20 »

kevinberry1 wrote:My point is that PG doesn't produce the quality of amplifiers that they did in the mid 90's, so the JL is really in a higher class.
WRONG! There quality is still there, just getting a bad rap right now w/the 1st batch run, which is now not a problem. The amps are still over built as hell as the JLs are, but not as "overkill" as PG.
muddybear
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Post by muddybear »

which do you guys think would give cleaner sound quality, the JL or the PG?
smgreen20
Junior Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lafayette,IN

Post by smgreen20 »

Not because I'm biased to PG, but a forum member on another site knows his amps (inside and out) he's buliding his own. He's got his degrees and he had done a review on one of the JL/ amps and a PG X200.2, the quality of the PG was a HAIR better. In parts used and quantity, meaning they didn't skimp out if it would "get by".
muddybear
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Post by muddybear »

thanks. I was going to go for PG cause of the price, but decided to go with JL. I prefer the way they look, and since I figured I can't really go wrong with either one, I decided to go with the one I like better. Another reason I chose JL is the fact that I used to have a component set up front and loved the SQ from them.
Post Reply