KikiTheCat wrote: but really spkrman, if you're only going to post to subjectively put down half the speakers on the list without any decent objective data to back up your opinions, all you're going to do is upset others and gain nothing by doing so but enemies.
I suppose dbdrag world championships aren't enough to make the l7 a "super" sub?
But a stroker can be on the list? And wtf, an RFL??
the Eclipse Ti sub has nearly identical specs to a W7, but with a much more rigid cone, and better SQ. I feel the Ti and Ti Pro subs fit nicely into the 'supersub' catagory, whereas the square solobaric subs are poorly designed, have relatively low excursion due to their design, have issues with lead slap and separation, and surrounds unravel or separate as much as the cuffs on the sleeves of a hobo. I see almost as many blown L5 and L7 and SoloX subs as I do blown Sony amps. My feelings on various brands aside though, my point is that if you're going to bash everybody's choices in speakers, you may want to at least offer some reasons for why you feel that way.
The TI's are ok, I've heard some installs with them and they just didn't get all that loud. They weren't bad, but they werent so superb that I'd sell my car to buy a pair. Same goes for w7's. There was also a particular competitor that spent ungodly amounts of time and $ trying to get a TI loud... and it just never put up a good number. He could barely break a 40 with one 15 in a pretty good box and i believe approx 1500 watts... and he actually tried. Tons of tuning and such, and it just never worked.
I never said l7's were reliable, but they are STUPID loud for the $. They don't move a heck of alot, but they don't need to... My bud is doing a 150.7 with about 1000 watts to each or 2 12l7's in a ford escape at 44hz... and the subs take it just fine. He also had one of the loudest driveby vehicles in the state, topped only by me :)
subs don't usually "blow" out of the blue. If you had issues with blowing H2s, maybe you should look at causes like poor box design or build quality, inadequate charging system causing amplifier clipping, improper gain setting causing amplifier clipping, or other things that are common causes of speaker failure.
I'm not a big fan of post-DEI buyout Orion myself, but the H2 isn't as bad a sub as you make it out to be, in my experience.
The h2's that have smoked were all in the proper box... but as soon as they saw any clipping, they smoked. THats a bad design. I've sent more power for longer periods of time to my CVR's in less than optimal boxes.. and they held up fine.
What experience do you have with the h2's? I've installed/been a part of the installation in 3 totally different installs.
One smoked his with a 1200d, got another one... lasted for a while, then upgraded to a 2500d, and smoked it again. For some odd reason he's getting a pair of them now.
One the surround ripped off, on a 1200d, and its been kewl from then on.
One the guy only hooked up one coil to test and make sure the sub worked... and it smoked almost immediately.
Crappy designed subs... they are extremely unstable.
Either way... this "super sub" list is way to open, it needs to be narrowed down to things that are really loud and sound really good.... or are at the absolute top of either of those categories.