Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:26 pm
well maybe not the install but your tune is off then
A Car Audio Forum dedicated to providing our members with the best audio, video, and alarm troubleshooting.
https://caraudiocentral.net/forums/
Is that because there's less air in a small vehicle to compress, or is it because there's glass for sound to reflect off of?Jonathan wrote:It's mainly the vehicle difference. Regardless of how great your system is, it's flat out hard to beat a hatchback. A Blazer, while not a bad SPL vehicle, isn't going to match a hatchback unless you really take advantage of the room they offer (have the whole back end crammed with equipment) Kinda like a CRX, they'll get loud as snot off of mediocre equipment as well.
On top of that it's the shitton of 6x9s he has, and the fact that he has basically 3 sets of speakers in the car.
I just wanted to say that I'm constantly guilty of thinking of install in terms of front stage imaging and staging as opposed to how loud a system gets. I don't know why my brain always makes me think thatsolacedagony wrote:Yep. Another instance of install pwnage :)
Wow, awesome points. I wasn't aware that you could have TOO small. I guess that's because of the huge wavelength of bass frequencies? That very well may be why my standard cab truck does great in midbass, but not subbass.Jonathan wrote:It's the small size, basically less air to compress, while not being TOO small (think regular cab truck here). Also the shape of the vehicle, which resembles an oval moreso than other vehicle types. Subbass in a car is effectively an enclosure operating within an enclosure, in which the ideal enclosure is a true sphere. Spheres/ovals/etc are inherently stronger and thus less prone to flexing compared to a boxy SUV for example (think videos of quarters bouncing on a roof). The shape also typically suffers less cancellation and standing waves to a boxier vehicle. The design in general just works out better for SPL
Yep. Mid bass doesn't require that much distance for the wave to form. Sub bass on the other hand, especially your lower freqs does.solacedagony wrote: I guess that's because of the huge wavelength of bass frequencies? That very well may be why my standard cab truck does great in midbass, but not subbass.