Am I missing something? Wiring two 8 ohm subs in series is going to halve the impedance? I tend to disagree on the basis of physics.....I believe that if you wire two 8 ohm subs in series, they will produce a 16 ohm load. However, if you wire those two subs in PARALLEL, then the impedance WILL be halved, and they will produce a 4 ohm load....Rave'n wrote:If you wire them together in series it will bring the impedance on the amp down to 4 ohms.
Still dont know how to post pics.lol
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/home/
^^ This site can help you with wiring them together.
Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Some wiring / speaker wattage questions
-
Waldodamon
- Member
- Posts: 87
- Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:38 am
- Location: Woonsocket, Rhode Island
- GlassWolf
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 6725
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
- Location: Columbia, SC
- Contact:
If you have two 8 ohm speakers and they're full range, you'll get half of the 4 ohm rated power of the amp to each speaker. amplifiers have minimum ohm ratings, but they generally run from the minimum up to 16 ohms without a problem, and each time the ohm load is doubled, the power is halved. (approximately)Rivers wrote:Couple of questions folks:
1. For 8 ohm speakers that are going to be drawing power from a 4 ohm amplifier, does it need to be wired differently?
Well, yes. you need enough power to move the speaker cones enough to produce the volumes you desire. The amount of power you really need depends on a lot of things. the speakers, the enclosure if they'r esubs, the type of car (cabin air volume and signal path lengths) etc2. I see a couple of posts about giving extra wattage to speakers which results in a increase in db levels. On the flip side, if I am not after SPL, is there is a minimum amount of power that is required for the speakers to sound optimal?
same answer. depends entirely on a lot of factors. remember you're talking about the reflectiveness of the car interior, the signal path length, the efficiency of the speaker (varies widely with tweeters more than anything else), the amount of power used, the rest of the system balancing out the tweeters, and so forth.I read somewhere else that tweeters at 15 watts can generate quite a load db-wise. Having extra headroom is always a good thing I suppose, but what would be a rough minimal gauge for it to sound optimal?

GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
-
Waldodamon
- Member
- Posts: 87
- Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:38 am
- Location: Woonsocket, Rhode Island
It's all good man, no sweat. I think everyone knew what you were implying, I just wanted to make sure the original poster had it clear, that's all. I hope I didn't come off as a dick about it.....definitely a big sorry if I did man!!!Rave'n wrote:Yes you are right I am sorry , Damn and I knew that I dont know why I said that.
::EDIT:: But thanks for the neg rep rave'n, it's good to see my apology meant something, and that by being correct about an issue you can expect the mentality of CAF.