Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Need help with speaker choice

All speaker/sub woofer related questions.
JeremyC
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:13 am
Location: Oklahoma

Post by JeremyC »

With the 8455 you will be better of without any rear speakers. If you can, go active with your components, and you will really be able to take full effect of the 8455s abilities.
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Bwcad1 »

i would go with elevation also there components are great but im a little biased :thumbsup but as for the list above all of those i agree with but mtx i think they have jumped on the pimp my ride bandwagon and are loosing cred. a buddy of mine just had a pair and the tinsel leads just ripped off under normal load also there soldier isnt very good the resistance is so high it creates a ton of heat and ends up mealting itself. other may not agree but in my expeirence with mtx i dont like them. all others are good imo
ImageImage


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Robert Wollenberg
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:45 am
Location: Abilene, Texas

Post by Robert Wollenberg »

Sweet. I'll check out the good, bad and ugly after lunch. My current deck has that ability too with the active Xover vs. passive. Perhaps I'll put some more thought into that and go that route. In your opinion, is there a single 6.5" component set out there that can handle enough power and deliver decent sound quality without selfdistructing after a couple hours of use? I'm planning on reusing my 10" L7s with about 1200 WRMS and would like my fronts to keep up as much as possible. I like my sound quality when I'm going back and forth to work or on long trips, but there's always a time when you need to show some guy at a stop light what an audio system is really suppose to sound like. It has to be able to deliver without puking out on me. lol.
racerraul
Senior Member
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:40 am
Location: Florida

Post by racerraul »

I think the Ricer croud is pretty much a market that all the companies are targeting to stay alive... lets face it... SQ competition & demand is at an all time low... so there is no demand for the quality we like...

I don't think RF has sold out entirely with their amps... The Power & Type-RF lines are their higend line of amps... These are awesome but very expensive.

PPI I have to agree have gone way south... but then again their lead engineers left to start xTant & I think are currently working for JL (thus they now have amps)

Currently, I think http://www.zedaudio.com amps value\performance are hard to beat. For those that put much stock in amp sonics, they even offer Burr\Brown OpAmps upgrades...
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Bwcad1 »

http://elevationaudio.com/concert650.htm

these bad boys if you have any questions email Joe at elevation or ask one of the dealers I know Devin with sinister audio is a dealer and Justin from Detroit is. Or just post in the elevation audio forum.
ImageImage


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
sinister audio
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Watertown, South Dakota
Contact:

Post by sinister audio »

ya those zed amps are great sometime im going to buy a few to mess around with. the guy who makes those is the same guy that built or atleast had a hand in ever great amp from the late 80's to 90's
racerraul
Senior Member
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:40 am
Location: Florida

Post by racerraul »

If you do decide to go active... I highly recommend that you look outside the car audio market for your components...

IMO... the car audio market takes advantage of the immaturity of the consumer base & sells speakers with inferior motors at high prices... there is too much focus in eye candy.

DLS is a company that is doing VERY well in SQ comps... I have managed to best a full dealer DLS car with my DIY setup. I have about $280 total invested in my 3way Front Stage vs the Flagship DLS IR 3way I went up agaist that retails wel over $800...
High Society
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2473
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:59 am
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Post by High Society »

and would like my fronts to keep up as much as possible.
Look in the RE audio XXX mids, they can handle the power. Then set them up with a nice tweet.
♠ Mateo ♠

80 pounds of Titanium
Proud Member of Team Wolfpack Audio
Robert Wollenberg
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:45 am
Location: Abilene, Texas

Post by Robert Wollenberg »

Thanks for all the great info. This is going to be very helpful. Way too much to take in at work though. I'll have to study it better tonight. I've seen the active deck xover become more popular lately, unlike horn loaded drivers which I installed plenty of in my day then they seemed to flop. Anyway, bass shakers didn't make it long either. Just for the record, I didn't like those. I did like the horns though. I have Klipsch throughout my house. I love 'em. Anyway, any and all sugestions will be read and heavily considered. I'm out of touch and I know it. So, the info you all pass me will definately reshape my opinion of things and alter my choices for my install. People arn't still putting tweets at the top of their A pillers, are they? lmao That was the rage. I never understood it myself.
sinister audio
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Watertown, South Dakota
Contact:

Post by sinister audio »

im a dealer for DLS but i dont have a DLS car.
Post Reply