Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

whine noise after deck install.

Car stereo head units, EQ, and DSP questions.
muddybear
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Post by muddybear »

another thing. aside from the engine noise that comes throught the speakers when the car is running. theres a slight whine when the car is off. and the sound almost sounds like its coming from the deck. almost like its amplifing the sounds the deck makes. For example, with a CD in the deck and the volume at zero, and when I change tracks, it sounds almost like a record player switch to the next song.
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

It sounds like one of the RCA's is touching metal somewhere or such. Make sure they aren't touching anything they shouldn't or have been split open anywhere.
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
muddybear
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Post by muddybear »

i don't think thats it since I can plug in any one RCA and it will do it. It doesn't matter which RCA I plug in, or which channel to the 4 channel amp. just one RCA into the amp and it starts making noise. i Doubt all the RCA's are bad or touching metal. also i did not have this problem with the stock deck.
JeremyC
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:13 am
Location: Oklahoma

Post by JeremyC »

Try disconecting the rca's at the headunit and leave them conected to the amp. If the noise goes away try swapping out the deck .
nightcrawlaa
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:40 am
Location: new orleans

Post by nightcrawlaa »

are your rca's ran on the same side of the car as your power wires(sometimes engine noise can can jump from your power wires to your rca's if they are to close)
muddybear
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Post by muddybear »

well, I picked up a ground loop isolater today for $20. before I pluged it in I tried ground my amps to the same spot, double checking all my speaker wires, switching RCA's around. no change. then I pluged the Isolator into channel one and the sound is gone and everything seems to be working fine.

Except for a small prob. with the volume at zero, there is a very slight hiss coming from the tweeters, I credit this to my crappy american legacy amp. soon to be replaced with JL audio.

now I just need another Isolator for the rear.
muddybear
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Post by muddybear »

oh yeah, thanks guys for all your help. I wouldn't have made it this far without reading through this forum. I'm still a newbie to this audio stuff.
JeremyC
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:13 am
Location: Oklahoma

Post by JeremyC »

No problem man, thats what we are here for.
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

Glad a GL Iso helped.

I was going to sugguest to run another set of RCAs to just test that...
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
muddybear
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Post by muddybear »

is that kinda normal to have a quiet hiss coming from the tweeters at zero volume, when powering them with an amp?
Post Reply