Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

head unit repair in progress, please chime in:

Car stereo head units, EQ, and DSP questions.
Jon
Senior Member
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:35 am
Location: Toledo, OH
Contact:

Post by Jon »

Congrats! I am curious, was there a reason why you added the resistor on the 5v line? All that was needed was to ground the green wire and it would have powered on the ATX PSU.
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

the power supply needs to see a load at all times...

since I wanted to be able to take the alligator plugs on and off my wires, I needed that resistor to keep the Power supply on. Not sure but it might go up in smoke if you trip the sense wire with no load...
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

so I called the place I ordered the cable from, they are "Looking into it" ...

man I hope I don't get screwed...

I ordered a new OEM dash kit a few weeks back and they sent the wrong pocket - turns out there ordering system was screwed up.. I ended up paying an extra $20 to get everything I needed.
Jon
Senior Member
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:35 am
Location: Toledo, OH
Contact:

Post by Jon »

falkenbd wrote:the power supply needs to see a load at all times...

since I wanted to be able to take the alligator plugs on and off my wires, I needed that resistor to keep the Power supply on. Not sure but it might go up in smoke if you trip the sense wire with no load...


Nah it will be just fine. In fact I have powered up an ATX PSU this way with no load many of times. Sometimes for hours and no issue. When we used to do computer shows, we would power on the PSUs on display so people could hear how quiet they were, or see the lights if they had any. We would plug them in before the show and they would run all day long without any load (other than the internal fan).
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

well, i had fun soldering the resistor to those wires :)
Post Reply