Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Tinkering

Post all your general car audio questions here.
geoffwhite18
Junior Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: Rigby, ID
Contact:

Tinkering

Post by geoffwhite18 »

I've been tinkering a little with my box. It's internal dimentions are 36.75/12/15 with 2 12" Lightening Audio subs in it which comes out to about 1.91 cf per speaker. They are on seperate amps and I was having a problem with the speakers interfearing with eachother so I put a devider in the middle to seperate them which dropped the internal dimentions for each speaker to 1.875 cf. I noticed a pretty big performance drop in how hard the system hit. Even though it did sound a lot better since the speakers wern't fighting eachother. I decided to flip the speakers around with the magnets out and holy cow! With the negetave volume inside the speaker cone I should be about 2 cf per speaker and it made a pretty big difference. The bass is much clearer and deeper. NE way just thought I'd share!
subster87
Senior Member
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Lock Haven, PA
Contact:

Post by subster87 »

you said your subs were fighting each other to start with? so if they are fightin that means one is wired backwards. if you hook up a small drill battery to your two subs if they move in opposite directions you have to fix your wiring im thinking thats the cause when all in the same enclosure. Yeah small wattage subs i think see a big performance increase when you play with the box size. Audible difference anyway.
Scarrell
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Carmi, Illinois

Post by Scarrell »

that, and the gains are each amp need to match each other..
subster87
Senior Member
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Lock Haven, PA
Contact:

Post by subster87 »

good call forgot about seperate amps... good idea with to put the barrier in between them save you alot of hassle....
geoffwhite18
Junior Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: Rigby, ID
Contact:

Post by geoffwhite18 »

They are wired the same. It's just the two amps. they are the same model number with the same specs, but one is a little different than the other.
brtnboarder3241
Senior Member
Posts: 837
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:40 pm
Location: saint charles, IL
Contact:

Post by brtnboarder3241 »

how so?
geoffwhite18
Junior Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: Rigby, ID
Contact:

Post by geoffwhite18 »

The internal circuit boards are different, and one has phillips clamp things for the power and speaker hookups where the other one has the allen screw down thingys which are much better I feel!
solacedagony
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
Contact:

Post by solacedagony »

As long as the gains are set equally, you should be fine. If you've got the subs wired out of phase, I think they'll move, but you won't hear much sound. You can try flipping the wires going to ONE sub and see if it helps.
geoffwhite18
Junior Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: Rigby, ID
Contact:

Post by geoffwhite18 »

The subs are wired the same. I think it's a difference in the circuit board and it's components.
Post Reply