Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Sorting the good bad and ugly

Post all your general car audio questions here.
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Sorting the good bad and ugly

Post by William from NOLA »

Here's my initial sorting job of it. I've put my own opinions in as you may see. If there are any changes, put the category and whatnot. I still think a Questionable could be added for each.

...

(please visit the Good Bad and Ugly list in the FAQ section: http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/s ... d.php?t=32)
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
Mercedesbends69
Senior Member
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:00 am
Location: Owosso, MI

Post by Mercedesbends69 »

So how are we going to do this? Is the thread going to be like a suggestion box, someone suggests a brand into a catagory and then it gets Approved/Denied? If so I have a brand or two to be added.
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

I say just mention it, I did leave several out. I would like this thread to have all of the modifications in it, then we can move the list to the voting booth and whatnot.
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
JeremyC
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:13 am
Location: Oklahoma

Post by JeremyC »

you forgot boston acoustic in the sub section I would put them in highly recommended, but my experiance was with the older pro series, not the newest stuff.
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

head units:
wouldn't recommend anything kenwood, panasonic, or blaupunkt if you care at all about reliability.
Sony's Moblie ES line of head units from the early 1990s were excellent units, but expensive, and rare.

Amps:
highly recommended-
Harrison Labs
pre-DEI Orion
early 90s RF (punch and power)
PPI Art series

Planet Audio is a take it or leave it thing. some love them, some don't. I'd put those in the "maybe" column. I'd also use a numeric system ranked from levels 1 through 3 or 4 instead of labeling things good or bad. then you'll get less stress about if something "sucks" or not.

Main/component speakers:
highly rec-
infinity kappa perfect
JL ZR component line
Eclipse I'd move to highly rec. they make great components.
on par with anything from infinity at least.

subs:
highly rec-
alpine type R
diamond's subs are very good.
Good-
alpine type S, E, etc under the R's
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

I tried to work around saying "bad" by using "avoid" but do you think I should change "good" to "reliable"?
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
armedforglory
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Pensacola, Florida

Post by armedforglory »

under amplifiers, planet audio is under both questionable, and avoid, just lettin ya know!
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

LOL, must fix... or should I? :D
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
Justin from Detroit1
Junior Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Location: Detroit

Post by Justin from Detroit1 »

I think Planet Audio deserves its own category, even better then the best! :)
Fubar
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:00 am

Post by Fubar »

William from NOLA wrote: Highly Recommended

Rockford Fosgate (Power series)---move to good
Memphis Audio--- move to good

Good
JBL--high end crown series should push this into highly recommended

Questionable
Planet Audio-- atleast good... highly recommended on mypart..how many amps come with the warranty that PA's do?

Avoid
MA Audio---good
Power Acoustik---questionable

Main Speakers
----------------------
Highly Recommended
Infinity (Kappa and Kappa Perfect series)-- kappa to good


Avoid

Planet Audio--i got a 6.5 yellow carbon fiber series to try out once.. and i liked them.. i think they should be questionable

Subwoofers
----------------------
Highly Recommended

Kicker (CompVR series)--good--and where's the L5, L7, solo-x, & comp?
Alpine (Type-R series)---good-- and what about the x? i haven't heard em but they're not listed..

Good
Alpine (Type-S or E series)--type e should go to avoid..
Pioneer--lower models should be avoided
MB Quart--- i'd bump them up

Avoid

Planet Audio- the stroker lookalike is nice.. but everything else is marginal at best..
my "fixes"
Post Reply