Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Man, why did this happen?

Post all your general car audio questions here.
Team AI
Senior Member
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:23 pm
Location: Ligonier, IN
Contact:

Post by Team AI »

I had a 600.1 and never used the bass boost. I personally think it's a useless feature on that amp as it supplies plenty of power without having to dick around with the signal. For future reference... easy on the Bass Boost.
Laparka22
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:22 pm

Post by Laparka22 »

Well, I guess I did clip the hell out if it, I thought you can accually hear clipping, anyways I feel like a moron......
CaptainPioneer
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3389
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Monroe, CT
Contact:

Post by CaptainPioneer »

i have a buddy who is selling one of his 12" type r dual 4 ohm if you are interested in buying a new sub that is broken in and is in pretty good shape
COR UNUM VIA UNA - Jay Chmura
Laparka22
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:22 pm

Post by Laparka22 »

damn, I may just give up on car audio, can't seem to get it right. Which sucks becouse I am addicted to bass, but to damn expesive you know?
audiobass10
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Cape Coral, Florida

Post by audiobass10 »

I've never used bass boost, and never will. You're saying that the sub just started smoking out of no where? Most of the time you can tell when you've pushed a sub past its limits. That's part of the reason I never worry about setting gains on a DMM or any bullshit like that (no offense to anyone who does). Don't make car audio too complicated. I've always set gains by ear, and never blown a sub or amplifier....
geolemon
Senior Member
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:46 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Post by geolemon »

Laparka22 wrote:damn, I may just give up on car audio, can't seem to get it right. Which sucks becouse I am addicted to bass, but to damn expesive you know?
Not expensive if you are careful. Only expensive if you have to buy things over and over and over... ]adjustment knob[/i] is there for, and how to properly adjust it. Otherwise, if you set you gains at just 1/3, and they should have been set higher, it's possible that you were artificially limiting how loud your system could be... and therefore reached for that gain knob because you were still wanting... clipping the input signal even with a conservative gain setting. Ironic?

Being careful really means researching everything before touching anything.
In other words, if you don't understand it, don't touch it until you read up on it enough to feel confident in adjusting it. :cool:

Not just the gain, I mean, either... bass boost too. If you knew what the bass boost really did, I bet you'd never touch it again. After all, it doesn't boost "bass" - it boosts ONE frequency, and like any other EQ adjustment, affects a narrow band of adjacent frequencies... who wants a "one note wonder" anyway? :help:
loudwagon15s
Senior Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:58 pm
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Contact:

Post by loudwagon15s »

ditto on nearly everything above, but my opinion is always use the gain equation to set your gain, and leave the bass boost at 0, even on the best amps/subs increasing the bass boost will increase the chance of clipping a signal. And one more thing, make sure that you never turn your HU above 3/4 of the highest volume (if it goes up to 60, only go up to 45)
Darthness
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3706
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:54 pm

Post by Darthness »

you can hear clipping.. but you need an ear to do so, as far as i know. i personally probably could not.. unless you gave me 2 signals, exactly the same, and told me to identify which one was clipped.

but yeah.. replace it.. set the gain with a DMM or better yet an o-scope if you have access to one and know how to use it.. don't fuck with the bass boost next time.
Image
- Keith
Laparka22
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:22 pm

Post by Laparka22 »

yeah, maybe I will replace the sub, will be after chirstmas though :) yeah, I'll just leave the BB at 0 next time, The amp is still in good condition, and it's a pretty nice amp.
Darthness
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3706
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:54 pm

Post by Darthness »

check out the section on clipping at http://www.bcae1.com they have pictures and audioclips.
Image
- Keith
Post Reply