Hey everyone just joined tonight and I have a quick question...I am looking at upgrading my component speakers and I am wondering if there is really that large of a difference for the 6.5" MB Quartz models DSE, PCE, QSD and RCE? Any help and or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
EDIT: Also what would be a good match in terms of an amp...obviously a 4 channel, but what brands/models have any of you had experience with.
Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Need help with Quartz's
- William from NOLA
- Posts: 5172
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
- Location: Metairie, LA
- Contact:
Quality wise, probably not that much different. As for the sound and performance, that will vary a bit more than you'd believe. You'd need to hear each one (on the same amp and headunit, mind you) to make your decision.
Hopefully someone on here can give you some differences from their experiences. I found that I had liked their top of the line a lot a few years ago. I haven't heard a set in a while.
Hopefully someone on here can give you some differences from their experiences. I found that I had liked their top of the line a lot a few years ago. I haven't heard a set in a while.
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 
Welcome to the forum.
The Discus components you might as well disregard altogether. Not that great and there are better options for the money.
The Reference comps also aren't a value leader, but are pretty good quality wise.
The Premiums are the best bang for the buck. They are very nice components and aren't a huge step down from the Q series. In terms of setting up, they're actually the easier set to get good results with and sound great in most applications. These will be comparable in performance with the Boston Pros, the JL Audio XRs, the Diamond Hex/D6 comps, stuff in that price range.
Of course, Qs are the best to be had from MB Quart. Like anything in the "Reference" level price range, this is where you hit the point of diminishing returns, though. Not quite the value of the Premiums, but definately the better set. They're more difficult to set up, but the midrange clarity is excellent and the tweeter is excellent when done right. If you tune it well, it's one of the smoothest metal domes you could ask for. Comparable with the Dynaudio, Focal Utopia/K2P, Morel, DLS, SEAS Lotus, JL ZR, Polk Audio SR offerings, amongst many others.
As far as the amp and everything else, how much are you wanting to spend?
The Discus components you might as well disregard altogether. Not that great and there are better options for the money.
The Reference comps also aren't a value leader, but are pretty good quality wise.
The Premiums are the best bang for the buck. They are very nice components and aren't a huge step down from the Q series. In terms of setting up, they're actually the easier set to get good results with and sound great in most applications. These will be comparable in performance with the Boston Pros, the JL Audio XRs, the Diamond Hex/D6 comps, stuff in that price range.
Of course, Qs are the best to be had from MB Quart. Like anything in the "Reference" level price range, this is where you hit the point of diminishing returns, though. Not quite the value of the Premiums, but definately the better set. They're more difficult to set up, but the midrange clarity is excellent and the tweeter is excellent when done right. If you tune it well, it's one of the smoothest metal domes you could ask for. Comparable with the Dynaudio, Focal Utopia/K2P, Morel, DLS, SEAS Lotus, JL ZR, Polk Audio SR offerings, amongst many others.
As far as the amp and everything else, how much are you wanting to spend?
Thats good advice Jonathan.
I have a pair of QSD 213 5"25 components. I will be using them in stock front door locations. I will be powering them off a JL 300/2 amp.
Would it be better to keep these, or go with a CDT HD-53 Braxial set?? Would I see worthwhile gains??
Im VERY SORRY to sorta high-jack this thread, but your advice would go greatly appreciated :) .
I have a pair of QSD 213 5"25 components. I will be using them in stock front door locations. I will be powering them off a JL 300/2 amp.
Would it be better to keep these, or go with a CDT HD-53 Braxial set?? Would I see worthwhile gains??
Im VERY SORRY to sorta high-jack this thread, but your advice would go greatly appreciated :) .
-
evo_from_hell
- Junior Member
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:41 pm
No worries, I am just trying to get an idea of what is best bang for the buck, not really thinking about an actual price range right now, but at the same time I'm not going to buy Bang and Olufsen (even though they are home audio), if you know what I mean. I just want to upgrade the interior speakers and most likely get a new head unit...thinking about the Pioneer AVC N-1.chodecz wrote:Im VERY SORRY to sorta high-jack this thread, but your advice would go greatly appreciated :) .