supposedly these little portables will slice through up to 3/8th inch plate steel, so they'd be great for working on car bodies for mods, cutting off old bolts and headers, etc. Little stuff that's faster with a plasma than a reciprocating saw. I used the sawzall this past weekend to slice up my old exhaust system into little 1' sections so I could toss it in the trash. That took a couple minutes, and the saw was toasty warm afterward. I probably breathed in a bunch of deadly stuff, too. hehsinister audio wrote:that wouldnt be too bad for this kind of stuff if your careful. only thing that sucks about plasma cutters is the consumables.
Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Comp Size
- GlassWolf
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 6725
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
- Location: Columbia, SC
- Contact:

GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
We had a little one at the shop...
Something broke on it after not much use, so I was a little concerned about that.
What "consumables?" Maybe that's what happened. I was just told it was broken.
I'd love one, personally.
But I said that about a MIG welder too... bought one... and still really haven't touched it, I've never got time.
(let's see... that was... holy crap... before I got married... say, 8 years ago? Is that sad?)
Something broke on it after not much use, so I was a little concerned about that.
What "consumables?" Maybe that's what happened. I was just told it was broken.
I'd love one, personally.
But I said that about a MIG welder too... bought one... and still really haven't touched it, I've never got time.
(let's see... that was... holy crap... before I got married... say, 8 years ago? Is that sad?)
- GlassWolf
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 6725
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
- Location: Columbia, SC
- Contact:
now MIG and TIG welders I have access to at my friend's garage next to his house. I just don't personally own them. I think depending on the size of the garage on the house I get in NC, I may drop the $1200 or so and buy a side hydraulic lift for my car though. Man, that'd be great for working under it. No more creepers.

GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator