Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Comp Size

All speaker/sub woofer related questions.
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

if at first you can't fit it.. use a rotary tool and a cutting wheel, or an air-nibbler!!!
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
geolemon
Senior Member
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:46 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Post by geolemon »

Or, simpler and less painful-
...build an MDF spacer ring. I end up having to do this for more cars than not.. and since speaker baskets reduce in diameter pretty quickly moving toward the magnet, it basically removes any concerns about "mounting diameter" and "mounting depth" in one fell swoop, too. :cool:

Your only concern in that case, is whether the speaker grille in front of the speaker can clear an extra 1/2" or 3/4" (whatever wood thickness you use for the rings). ;)
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

yup
that turns into an issue with some GMs, a lot of imports with really thin doors, etc.. but most times it works just fine.
I was half joking about slicing up the door. Most people don't own an air nibbler anyway haha
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

haha, half joking
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
geolemon
Senior Member
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:46 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Post by geolemon »

Hey, here's all the regard for my door integrity:
http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/Lin ... source.htm
Sawzall anyone?
:dance

I miss that little truck. :(
sinister audio
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Watertown, South Dakota
Contact:

Post by sinister audio »

a plasma cutter works pretty good too. jk you want to use that.
Jonathan
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:44 pm
Location: Georgia

Post by Jonathan »

geolemon wrote:Hey, here's all the regard for my door integrity:
http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/Lin ... source.htm
Sawzall anyone?
:dance
I miss that little truck. :(
I may do that to mine (it was free, I don't feel guilty :D ). What kind of truck was that?
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

actually you can buy a small 40A portable plasma cutter now for about $400.
I've been considering it myself.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
sinister audio
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Watertown, South Dakota
Contact:

Post by sinister audio »

that wouldnt be too bad for this kind of stuff if your careful. only thing that sucks about plasma cutters is the consumables.
geolemon
Senior Member
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:46 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Post by geolemon »

That was my old Nissan minitruck I had...
Around here, with the snow and salt, you have a "nice car" and a "Winter beater". That truck was my winter beater... but also a nice utility vehicle, and pretty decently cool - I had it lowered over 5"... the rear spring shackles were low enough to the ground that certain driveway entrances you had to punch the throttle a little bit so you could bounce the shackles over the driveway and not get hung up... :p

Eventually it started to get a little rusty, so I got rid of it. It was a 1990 model, a pretty popular body style with the minitruck crowd.

I picked up a Pathfinder to replace it, since that truck was so good to me (AND since I managed to find a 2 wheel drive one, with a manual tranny - rare!) - I'm not half as happy with the Pathfinder unfortunately. :(
Post Reply