Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Silk or metallic
Silk or metallic
Ive read here that silk tweets have a smooth sound and that metallics are more pearcing.
Im used to pearcing but the idea of smooth is intriguing. Any further education on this would be appreceated.
Recomendations on silk comp systems would also be appreciated. Ive seen the diamond ones but I would like to finds something in a 6.5 and they dont seem to offer one.
Im used to pearcing but the idea of smooth is intriguing. Any further education on this would be appreceated.
Recomendations on silk comp systems would also be appreciated. Ive seen the diamond ones but I would like to finds something in a 6.5 and they dont seem to offer one.
Well if any of you have recomendations with the comp sets you normally deal in I would like those as well. Ive read the Good bad ugly list. Im trying to narrow down the highly recommended ones. I could pay high but would like pay around $350 for the set. That way I dont have to save as long.
love your quote BTW
love your quote BTW
- GlassWolf
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 6725
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
- Location: Columbia, SC
- Contact:
if you want to hear what "smooth" sounds like, audition some rainbow or dynaudio components.
Unable to find those? Go to a high end home audio shop and audition some martin-logan ESL panel speakers (like the Odyssey or Ascent models) and you'll get an idea of what a smooth, well blended treble response should be.
The more aggressive tweeters are ok, and sound good for some things, but I find they're moe easily fatiguing on the ears, too.
I can't listen at moderately loud volumes to aggressive tweeters for a 4 hour car trip like I can my Dyns.
Unable to find those? Go to a high end home audio shop and audition some martin-logan ESL panel speakers (like the Odyssey or Ascent models) and you'll get an idea of what a smooth, well blended treble response should be.
The more aggressive tweeters are ok, and sound good for some things, but I find they're moe easily fatiguing on the ears, too.
I can't listen at moderately loud volumes to aggressive tweeters for a 4 hour car trip like I can my Dyns.

GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
-
sinister audio
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 2562
- Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
- Location: Watertown, South Dakota
- Contact:
- GlassWolf
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 6725
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
- Location: Columbia, SC
- Contact:
eBay I see the MkII 240 sets go for around $550/set if I recall correctly..
It's been a bit since I looked though.
My system 360 retails for $1200 for their top model 3-way set.
http://www.dynaudiousa.com/
PS DLS is very good too, but I don't recall the characteristics of their tweeters. the ONLY reason I didn't suggest them.
It's been a bit since I looked though.
My system 360 retails for $1200 for their top model 3-way set.
http://www.dynaudiousa.com/
PS DLS is very good too, but I don't recall the characteristics of their tweeters. the ONLY reason I didn't suggest them.

GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
DLS tweet is very similar to the Dyn in the smoothness category. Dyn tends to do a tad better in lower response, though, I feel the Dyns are a bit better in 2 way fashion. Ok, ok, in 3 ways too, I've stated my bias 
Sets are very similar, though. DLS Iridiums were originally built by Morel, who licenses from Dynaudio. Motors are very similar, external 3" voice coil, about the same excursion. Dyns are more laid back overall, very smooth and neutral. DLS has a little more midbass attack, midrange is darker. Tweets of both are pretty similar, though the DLS tweets have a little more "oomph" in upper treble extension while the Dyn tweets do a little better in lower treble extension. Subtle differences, though.
Sets are very similar, though. DLS Iridiums were originally built by Morel, who licenses from Dynaudio. Motors are very similar, external 3" voice coil, about the same excursion. Dyns are more laid back overall, very smooth and neutral. DLS has a little more midbass attack, midrange is darker. Tweets of both are pretty similar, though the DLS tweets have a little more "oomph" in upper treble extension while the Dyn tweets do a little better in lower treble extension. Subtle differences, though.
-
veggie-man
- Senior Member
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:20 pm
- Location: Warwick,New York
i saw you wanted some diamond... they do make 6.5 in here they are
http://www.diamondaudio.com/products/in ... e=2&model=
i really have never tried them although i really want to. if anyone has tried these let us know how they sound.
http://www.diamondaudio.com/products/in ... e=2&model=
i really have never tried them although i really want to. if anyone has tried these let us know how they sound.