Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Sorting the good bad and ugly
-
diceman1000
- Senior Member
- Posts: 268
- Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:28 am
- Location: belleville,ks
...
ok...i stand corrected sir :)
Damon
Damon
expect the worst,hope for the best,and take it as it comes...live life to the fullest,alway cherish your family and friends,especialy your wife and kids
HU:ECLIPSE CD8051
FS:CDT CL61A's
F.AMP:MONITOR 1 MK2.70
RS:N/A
SUBS:TWO eD 13Kv2's in 1.25 cubes ea.,sealed
SUB AMP:CROSSFIRE BMF600D@1 OHM
WIRING:SCOCHE EFX,STREETWIREZ
CAP:STINGER 1 FARAD
BATT.:OPTIMA YELLOW TOP

HU:ECLIPSE CD8051
FS:CDT CL61A's
F.AMP:MONITOR 1 MK2.70
RS:N/A
SUBS:TWO eD 13Kv2's in 1.25 cubes ea.,sealed
SUB AMP:CROSSFIRE BMF600D@1 OHM
WIRING:SCOCHE EFX,STREETWIREZ
CAP:STINGER 1 FARAD
BATT.:OPTIMA YELLOW TOP
-
CleverCynic
- Junior Member
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:10 am
suggquestion
Hey guys, looks like a great list, lots of experience here. I'm not an installer or anything but I do like to think I do all my homework before making purchases of this nature. My only gripe is with HiFonics amps in the questionable list. I'm running two Alpine X-types and a Resonant Engineering SX, both brands from the highly recommended, with two HiFonics Brutus amps (BX2005D and BX1205D), also 2 yellowtop Optima batteries, all from an Alpine CDA-9853. I just would really never run my subs with anything "questionable". I'm not certain of the company's history, but I was wondering if now that the year has gone by if you would include the 2005 models in at least the good category. These have been great, highly reliable, musical and feature-rich amps and I have never heard even a hint of distortion.
Additionally, I've never read less than a 4 star review to justify a questionable rating. Any consideration or explanation appreciated. I know people pull for their products, but again I only purchase from great, consistent recommendations to begin with!
Additionally, I've never read less than a 4 star review to justify a questionable rating. Any consideration or explanation appreciated. I know people pull for their products, but again I only purchase from great, consistent recommendations to begin with!
- GlassWolf
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 6725
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
- Location: Columbia, SC
- Contact:
the rating on hifonics is mainly due to their severely over-rated outputs.
They claim 1500 watts and on a scope, they actually put out about 996WRMS. Part of the reason being that they pull tricks like rating power at 16 volts, with a burst signal instead of a sustained 20-20KHz signal etc.. If they used CEA ratings for power, it'd help their claims quite a bit.
Overall, the amps are aceptable, but not quite up to the quality or others in the "good" area. Questionable means just that, though. It doesn't mean the product is good, or bad.. it simply means it's reliability, quality, or overall placement is in dispute and while some may encourage hifonics' use, as many may not.
They claim 1500 watts and on a scope, they actually put out about 996WRMS. Part of the reason being that they pull tricks like rating power at 16 volts, with a burst signal instead of a sustained 20-20KHz signal etc.. If they used CEA ratings for power, it'd help their claims quite a bit.
Overall, the amps are aceptable, but not quite up to the quality or others in the "good" area. Questionable means just that, though. It doesn't mean the product is good, or bad.. it simply means it's reliability, quality, or overall placement is in dispute and while some may encourage hifonics' use, as many may not.

GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
-
sinister audio
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 2562
- Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
- Location: Watertown, South Dakota
- Contact:
-
Ryan from Ohio
- Posts: 13308
- Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
- Contact:
Just curious,Bwcad1 wrote:over the past few years hifonics have made quite a change in quaility they now produce the amount of power the are rated at.
Over the past few years what is your experience with hifonics?
Hifonics has been around longer than Ive been in the hobby, which was around 94-95...
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
-
Justin from Detroit1
- Junior Member
- Posts: 0
- Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
- Location: Detroit
-
veggie-man
- Senior Member
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:20 pm
- Location: Warwick,New York
GlassWolf wrote:head units:
Sony's Moblie ES line of head units from the early 1990s were excellent units, but expensive, and rare.
ok obviously you have more experience than me, but my dads Sony mobile ES worked extremely nicely for about 2 years or so then it started to skip every time he went over a bump.... then about 6 months later it got so bad as to every time he put in a CD that wasn’t PERFECTLY clean it would skip like a madman.
That’s my experience with that but maybe it was a lemon? I have no clue


