Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

US Amps 400X

Post all your general car audio questions here.
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

US Amps 400X

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

This is from 1999, the 400 Xterminator.

Rated at 750 WRMSx2 @ 2 Ohms per channel

225 Amp fused connection needed.

I have a chance at this amp fairly cheap. Didnt get a set price yet, but I believe he wants $400 for it.

The amp is older and is in need of a stripping and re black-oxiding (Black coating like Anodize). Also the connectors appear to have been broken off or were Epoxied glued at the factory (not to sure but I see epoxy on the bootm. Looks like they may be glued for purpose).

I may offer him $200, not sure.

With such a beastly amp and only a 90 Amp alt.... But its good power :)

Lets play a game, how many Optima's in Ryans trunk?

:sm29:
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
Dustin from Huntsville
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1656
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

Post by Dustin from Huntsville »

Very sweet amp. Very underrated amp too. Contact US Amps and they can give you a quote to service the amp and fix it up. They could probably drop the internals in a new heatsink for you fairly cheap. But anyway, you can't go wrong with US Amps :P

Oh yeah, grab the dimensions on the amp and make sure it will fit in your installation area. The older US Amps were freakin' huge in size. I'm sure that thing is atleast 2 feet long.
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

If you get to $200, that'd be a great deal. $400 still wouldnt be bad, but with the repairs needed, it should definately be less than $400.

Instead of the quantity of Optimas, how about the "how long does this really need to take to recharge all of these damn batteries" game :)
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

I guess the thing is, Im not sure I really would want that much power.

It would be cool cause I would have the needed power for Asuper sub.

The downside would be the $200+ alternator and about $300 in batteries I would need.

In the long run I would probably be better off witxh less power.


:t_thumbdo
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

If you think you can buy it, fix it up and resell it for more money, I'd go for it. Nobody said you had to use it :D
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
Dustin from Huntsville
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1656
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

Post by Dustin from Huntsville »

Just because you have all that power doesn't mean you have to use all of it. You could run that amp fine off of a stock alternator. Unless you are competing in SPL events, a stock electrical system is sufficient for any daily driver assuming you aren't driving your equipment into clipping. Now, if you are one of those people who play their system to the point where you can't really tell if it's music, or randomly generated distorted noises, then no alternator upgrade will ever help your system anyway.

I've ran 1000+ WRMS on my 80 amp stock alternator without any problems. 200x2 for my front stage, and 625x1 for my subs. No dimming or anything.
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

I would need to see what the actual draw current is before I really consider it.

I just got piad today for a 7 day work week :p

So you never know whats gonna happen :)
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
Mercedesbends69
Senior Member
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:00 am
Location: Owosso, MI

Post by Mercedesbends69 »

*cough*10W7*cough*
NDMstang65
Junior Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:05 pm
Location: Covington,VA

Post by NDMstang65 »

Ryan i'll give you fair warning, you better have one hell of an electrical system. US Amps are current whores from hell itself. :)

Other then that they are very good amplifiers, just like lots of current :)
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

Thats the hold back.

With a 225 AMP fuse rating Im scared $$ wise to mess with it.

I think I can get better reults with less power.
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
Locked