Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

4 speakers on one bridged channel?

All questions related to amplifier installation and troubleshooting.
casemods
Junior Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

4 speakers on one bridged channel?

Post by casemods »

I have a sony xm-4045.

It has 2 high pass channels @ 40w and one bridged at 100w

Would it be bad to run 4 speakers off of that one bridge?

Edit: also, what would this amp typically be used for/best for?
Attachments
DSCN6935.JPG
loudwagon15s
Senior Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:58 pm
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Contact:

Post by loudwagon15s »

if you were running 4 sets of 4 ohm speakers you could run a pair in parallel to 2 ohms and run 2 ohm stereo, and yes theoretically it would be best to get the most power from this amp safely, but it is a sony, so anything can happen
casemods
Junior Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Post by casemods »

loudwagon15s wrote:if you were running 4 sets of 4 ohm speakers
I have 4 4 ohm speakers. I assume one set = 2?
loudwagon15s wrote: you could run a pair in parallel to 2 ohms and run 2 ohm stereo


How do I do that?
loudwagon15s wrote:but it is a sony, so anything can happen


I thought this was before sony went to "xplod" (before they made crap amps)
JeremyC
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:13 am
Location: Oklahoma

Post by JeremyC »

Thats an old school sony. So its a decent little amp.

That being said, its not 2 ohm's bridged capable. You can run it in 2 ohm's stereo, but not 2 ohm's bridged.

So why would you want to bridge it and run 4 speakers? Its really not designed for that. Its designed to be used as a 3 or 4 channel amp. Two high pass chanels on the front, and a single (or two) low power subs in the rear.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/XM4045.PDF
casemods
Junior Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Post by casemods »

JeremyC wrote:Thats an old school sony. So its a decent little amp.
That being said, its not 2 ohm's bridged capable. You can run it in 2 ohm's stereo, but not 2 ohm's bridged.
So why would you want to bridge it and run 4 speakers? Its really not designed for that. Its designed to be used as a 3 or 4 channel amp. Two high pass chanels on the front, and a single (or two) low power subs in the rear.
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/XM4045.PDF
Each speaker is 4ohm though. Would it change the ohms by putting all 4 positive and negative on the one bridge?

The reason I am trying to use it is because it's the only HPF amp I have.

I will just run the doors off of it and the dash on the head unit then for now till I get a proper 4 channel HPF amp?
Post Reply