Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

6.5V preouts cause problems for some amps?

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: 6.5V preouts cause problems for some amps?

by muddybear » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:01 pm

thanks. I was going to go for PG cause of the price, but decided to go with JL. I prefer the way they look, and since I figured I can't really go wrong with either one, I decided to go with the one I like better. Another reason I chose JL is the fact that I used to have a component set up front and loved the SQ from them.

by smgreen20 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:54 pm

Not because I'm biased to PG, but a forum member on another site knows his amps (inside and out) he's buliding his own. He's got his degrees and he had done a review on one of the JL/ amps and a PG X200.2, the quality of the PG was a HAIR better. In parts used and quantity, meaning they didn't skimp out if it would "get by".

by muddybear » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:14 pm

which do you guys think would give cleaner sound quality, the JL or the PG?

by smgreen20 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:58 pm

kevinberry1 wrote:My point is that PG doesn't produce the quality of amplifiers that they did in the mid 90's, so the JL is really in a higher class.
WRONG! There quality is still there, just getting a bad rap right now w/the 1st batch run, which is now not a problem. The amps are still over built as hell as the JLs are, but not as "overkill" as PG.

by Renegadesrun » Thu May 12, 2005 9:49 pm

There are quite a few 2v amps running around, so there is just cause for concern, but not if you pay attention to what v the amp will take. Anyway. That may be where he heard whatever it was that made him start the thread. In which case, yea 6.5 would not be good. Memphis and low end Arc come to mind right of the top of my head.

The JL is a substantial amp. One of the few i would install and never look back and wonder.

by GlassWolf » Thu May 12, 2005 8:30 pm

I think I got the thread pretty spot on.
4 volt preouts work with nearly anything sold in the last 5 years or so.
I think he'll be fine with any amplifier he picks if it's new.
the pre-outs are only 6.5V at full volume, with the pre-out levels maxed out.
levels should be kept at zero or near it, and volume generally shouldn't go past about 80% of full anyway to avoid clipping the signal, so he'll be fine, remaining at or below 4V if he does these simple things listed above.
a JL amp takes up to 8 volt inputs anyway though so that'd take anything up to and including an Eclipse head unit with 8V preouts.

by Scarrell » Thu May 12, 2005 8:19 pm

yay this got off topic quick :words

by GlassWolf » Thu May 12, 2005 8:16 pm

actually a lot of people there are rather disliking of PG.. more and mroe so since they shut down the general discussion forum. There's a lot of PG flaming that happens there as well as overhyped worshipping. Most of the good users are leaving that forum now though.

anyway in regards to the Pioneer and 6.5V preouts, from what I've seen they are actually 4V preouts, that produce 6.5V with the boosts turned all the way up.. so for normal operation you'll be fine, getting a 4V signal with boosts leveled out.

by Renegadesrun » Thu May 12, 2005 4:30 pm

From a board with its head up PG's bum, but yea, great review.

by muddybear » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:46 pm

thats a great review

Top