Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

clipping

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: clipping

by cargodz » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:58 am

^Ditto :p There are more and more factory h/u integrations now, but one of the easiest and cheapest is the PAC Trunkloc ;)
And then setting the amp is the same using a dmm and the tutorial in the faq section

by GlassWolf » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:05 pm

not true.
you can use a LOC, such as the PAC OEM-1, or JL Audio's Cleansweep, or the Audiocontrol version, which is a much better option than using high level inputs on an amp

by jjohan35 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:44 am

Hate to bring this back up, but how do I calculate if I'm using line level inputs on the amp? My gf refuses to change her deck because she likes her factory dash. So the only option I have is to feed speaker lines into the amp.

Thanks.

by solacedagony » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:51 am

Cargodz: The gain control is for matching the max HU voltage to the amp. I would personally set the gain than use attenuation in the HU for the sub out.

by solacedagony » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:49 am

solacedagony wrote:That said, the answer to your question is obviously the marketed specs for amp output.
:thumbsup

by cargodz » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:24 am

jjohan35 wrote:I have a few more questions. Do I use the watt RMS numbers on the speakers or the amp?

example 1. Say I have a 75 rms x 2 ch amp, used with 100 rms speakers. Which numbers do I use?

example 2. Say I have 300 rms output on my mono amp, used with a 250 rms subwoofer. Which numbers do I use? Thanks!
^This is a perfect example of the idea

In example #1 with a 100w rms speaker and a 75w rms amp you would use the rms of the amp as it is well within the safe range of the speakers

In example #2 with a 300w rms amp used with a 250w rms sub you would use the rms of the sub... because in this case if you were to use the amps rms you would be overpowering the sub
:thumbsup

by jjohan35 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:01 am

So what should I do?

I ask because cargodz formula says to multiply watt rms with ohm, then square root it. Which RMS numbers do I input into the formula?

by solacedagony » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:20 pm

jjohan35 wrote:I have a few more questions. Do I use the watt RMS numbers on the speakers or the amp?

example 1. Say I have a 75 rms x 2 ch amp, used with 100 rms speakers. Which numbers do I use?

example 2. Say I have 300 rms output on my mono amp, used with a 250 rms subwoofer. Which numbers do I use? Thanks!
Since this came up, I just want to explain speaker power handling a little bit to you. The numbers that marketing uses to quantify a speaker's "power handling" are based on a certain set of criteria. Speakers have thermal power handling and mechanical power handling. Really, your "power handling" number would be the lower of the two. But what size box are the speakers? Is the pole ventilated enough for cooling? What crossover point is being used? All of these things affect power handling.

That said, the answer to your question is obviously the marketed specs for amp output.

I would also like to add that a test tone is 100% duty cycle. Music is not. So by setting gains with a multimeter and test tones, you're selling yourself short on the available power (or even setting the amp to clip, if underrated).

by jjohan35 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:07 pm

I have a few more questions. Do I use the watt RMS numbers on the speakers or the amp?

example 1. Say I have a 75 rms x 2 ch amp, used with 100 rms speakers. Which numbers do I use?

example 2. Say I have 300 rms output on my mono amp, used with a 250 rms subwoofer. Which numbers do I use? Thanks!

by cargodz » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:39 pm

Yes you can :)

Top