by sdlvx » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:54 pm
Ryan from Ohio wrote:Ok. With all the possibilities out there now days Im just lost...
Heres what I do know.
I want to get a motherboard, processor, fan and a graphics cards for around under $400. Hey if I can get memory thats cool also!
The computer Im on now is just starting to hit limitations especially with games, but with general software even. Its server 6 long years however, so its due time.
I need a computer that can hang with todays programs, not break any records, and be good enough for about 3 years. I would like to be able to play a few PC games, like Hitman Blood Money.
Now some may say this cant be done... I know Best BUy has a tower with the dual core and 512 memory for $400. Walmart has a few offerings for towers in this area also...
So lets see what anyone can come up with... Im going to dive into this also.
The 400 dollar computers from Best Buy and Walmart will definately NOT last you 3 years. They have shoddy chipsets, a lack of ports, more than likely SLOW front side buses, CHEAP no-name ram, an integrated video card (with no PCIe16 or AGP slot, so you cant upgrade later), etc. I think you get the point. Those computers are utter dead ends, and you will GREATLY regret buying one if you ever plan on doing anything more than browsing the web and using Instant Messengers.
If you are on such a limited budget, you should spend as much of it as you can on the motherboard, because it is a pain in the ass to replace, and when you DO go to upgrade it, you will have to wipe windows (if you are using vista, you might even have to buy a new copy because of the new licensing restrictions.
The new quad-core intels will be using Socket T (LGA755). I would suggest buying a motherboard with socket 775, because it will be easy to buy a cheap CPU now, and upgrade a year from now to a conroe or quad core when you have the money.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131142
I would go with this, because it will support Quad core intels, as well as core 2 duos. ATM, it will run with a Pentium/Celeron D, which is what you should use if you are on a budget.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116213
This should run on that motherboard. Right now, you are at about 240 dollars.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814186008
There is NO point in spending any more than this on a video card right now, because in a year, you will need DX10 support, and you will need at least a geforce 8800. This puts you at about 320 dollars, leaving enough for ram and a new heatsink. Hope this helps.
[quote="Ryan from Ohio"]Ok. With all the possibilities out there now days Im just lost...
Heres what I do know.
I want to get a motherboard, processor, fan and a graphics cards for around under $400. Hey if I can get memory thats cool also!
The computer Im on now is just starting to hit limitations especially with games, but with general software even. Its server 6 long years however, so its due time.
I need a computer that can hang with todays programs, not break any records, and be good enough for about 3 years. I would like to be able to play a few PC games, like Hitman Blood Money.
Now some may say this cant be done... I know Best BUy has a tower with the dual core and 512 memory for $400. Walmart has a few offerings for towers in this area also...
So lets see what anyone can come up with... Im going to dive into this also.[/quote]
The 400 dollar computers from Best Buy and Walmart will definately NOT last you 3 years. They have shoddy chipsets, a lack of ports, more than likely SLOW front side buses, CHEAP no-name ram, an integrated video card (with no PCIe16 or AGP slot, so you cant upgrade later), etc. I think you get the point. Those computers are utter dead ends, and you will GREATLY regret buying one if you ever plan on doing anything more than browsing the web and using Instant Messengers.
If you are on such a limited budget, you should spend as much of it as you can on the motherboard, because it is a pain in the ass to replace, and when you DO go to upgrade it, you will have to wipe windows (if you are using vista, you might even have to buy a new copy because of the new licensing restrictions.
The new quad-core intels will be using Socket T (LGA755). I would suggest buying a motherboard with socket 775, because it will be easy to buy a cheap CPU now, and upgrade a year from now to a conroe or quad core when you have the money.
[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131142[/url]
I would go with this, because it will support Quad core intels, as well as core 2 duos. ATM, it will run with a Pentium/Celeron D, which is what you should use if you are on a budget.
[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116213[/url]
This should run on that motherboard. Right now, you are at about 240 dollars.
[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814186008[/url]
There is NO point in spending any more than this on a video card right now, because in a year, you will need DX10 support, and you will need at least a geforce 8800. This puts you at about 320 dollars, leaving enough for ram and a new heatsink. Hope this helps.