Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Man, why did this happen?

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Man, why did this happen?

by cargodz » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:03 am

New sub + new amp = break in...
I know everybody gets their new stuff and wants to here big bass Now!
But know that you've learned the hard way... when you start out, set your gain to 0 with 0 bassboost.... turn up your gain slowly for sub break in (lil at a time)... If you're setting by ear.... when you hear distortion turn the gain back down and then turn it down a couple of hairs more.
If you really feel the need for the use of bass boost. After a day or so of playing at the levels above... turn everything back down and start reseting with the gain and BB in the same manner... now your system is broke in well and you will be happy with your results ;)

by solacedagony » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:25 pm

I laugh when I see these threads. I have my subwoofer attenuated by 20 db right now. :surprised

by Darthness » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:19 pm

check out the section on clipping at http://www.bcae1.com they have pictures and audioclips.

by Laparka22 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:59 pm

yeah, maybe I will replace the sub, will be after chirstmas though :) yeah, I'll just leave the BB at 0 next time, The amp is still in good condition, and it's a pretty nice amp.

by Darthness » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:36 pm

you can hear clipping.. but you need an ear to do so, as far as i know. i personally probably could not.. unless you gave me 2 signals, exactly the same, and told me to identify which one was clipped.

but yeah.. replace it.. set the gain with a DMM or better yet an o-scope if you have access to one and know how to use it.. don't fuck with the bass boost next time.

by loudwagon15s » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:27 pm

ditto on nearly everything above, but my opinion is always use the gain equation to set your gain, and leave the bass boost at 0, even on the best amps/subs increasing the bass boost will increase the chance of clipping a signal. And one more thing, make sure that you never turn your HU above 3/4 of the highest volume (if it goes up to 60, only go up to 45)

by geolemon » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:23 pm

Laparka22 wrote:damn, I may just give up on car audio, can't seem to get it right. Which sucks becouse I am addicted to bass, but to damn expesive you know?
Not expensive if you are careful. Only expensive if you have to buy things over and over and over... ]adjustment knob[/i] is there for, and how to properly adjust it. Otherwise, if you set you gains at just 1/3, and they should have been set higher, it's possible that you were artificially limiting how loud your system could be... and therefore reached for that gain knob because you were still wanting... clipping the input signal even with a conservative gain setting. Ironic?

Being careful really means researching everything before touching anything.
In other words, if you don't understand it, don't touch it until you read up on it enough to feel confident in adjusting it. :cool:

Not just the gain, I mean, either... bass boost too. If you knew what the bass boost really did, I bet you'd never touch it again. After all, it doesn't boost "bass" - it boosts ONE frequency, and like any other EQ adjustment, affects a narrow band of adjacent frequencies... who wants a "one note wonder" anyway? :help:

by audiobass10 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:11 pm

I've never used bass boost, and never will. You're saying that the sub just started smoking out of no where? Most of the time you can tell when you've pushed a sub past its limits. That's part of the reason I never worry about setting gains on a DMM or any bullshit like that (no offense to anyone who does). Don't make car audio too complicated. I've always set gains by ear, and never blown a sub or amplifier....

by Laparka22 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:52 pm

damn, I may just give up on car audio, can't seem to get it right. Which sucks becouse I am addicted to bass, but to damn expesive you know?

by CaptainPioneer » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:47 pm

i have a buddy who is selling one of his 12" type r dual 4 ohm if you are interested in buying a new sub that is broken in and is in pretty good shape

Top