Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Kicker L5 vs. L7

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Kicker L5 vs. L7

by GlassWolf » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:10 pm

Worst Nightmare wrote:I've HAD JL's. Ok, I will check out w7's. After spending all my cash on vehicle performance mods, maybe I can begin expense on SQ?
For that kind of SQ, I am subject to my home system of Carver/Yamaha/JBL.
BTW - I have headers/x-pipe/dual exhaust which is kinda covering my resonance problem I have with the Kickers. I was going to purchase expensive (Focal Utopia) seps, but told that my loud vehicle would negate the SQ...
Preaching to the choir here buddy.. heh I have my system in a 66 charger with a stroker 496, supercomp headers, X pipe, 3.5"-to-3" reduction, through dual dynomax superturbo mufflers. I know how it is with a loud car. Mine puts out 654HP and it's got a lope like a jetted harley.
I used both liquid and mat sound deadening inside and across teh undercarriage from firewall to roof to doors to trunk to quiet the car, and used DynAudio 3-ways for the front stage, with a single 15" in back (had two 12" prior to that) so I can relate.
For home audio I use a Krell KSA-250 amp and Martin-Logan Odyssey mains, and KEF Reference speakers for 7.1 movies. I'm familiar with decent home sound as well.

Keep in mind the engine won't always be running when using the system in the car so it's not always a concern, and the key to hearing good sound over a loud engine, is having good drivers, well positioned, and with plenty of power to make them move air.
You won't cut it with head unit power.

by Worst Nightmare » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:16 pm

I'm done. I've applied sound deadener to my doors/cab. PM me with other interest's and I'll troll here for others. Thanks everyone.

by JeremyC » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:10 pm

Worst Nightmare wrote:I've HAD JL's. Ok, I will check out w7's. After spending all my cash on vehicle performance mods, maybe I can begin expense on SQ?...
The W7 is a great speaker, but unless your running a mid that can play pretty low (x over about 80) I would go with the W6V2. Out of the box the W6 is the better sounding woofer. With the right enclosure and tweaking both can sound good, but the W7 needs some extra help to pull it off.
Worst Nightmare wrote:I was going to purchase expensive (Focal Utopia) seps, but told that my loud vehicle would negate the SQ...
Thats why they make sound dampening. Heck there is a guy on here with a tricked out charger with a dyn audio 3 way set in it. The dyns are way more mellow than the focals, but he doesn't have a problem.

As for the utopias. They don't have a problem getting loud. Hook a set up with about 150 watts and they will scream.

by Worst Nightmare » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:23 pm

I've HAD JL's. Ok, I will check out w7's. After spending all my cash on vehicle performance mods, maybe I can begin expense on SQ?

For that kind of SQ, I am subject to my home system of Carver/Yamaha/JBL.

BTW - I have headers/x-pipe/dual exhaust which is kinda covering my resonance problem I have with the Kickers. I was going to purchase expensive (Focal Utopia) seps, but told that my loud vehicle would negate the SQ...

by GlassWolf » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:09 pm

here's the simple truth:
if you're happy with the L7, keep it.
who cares what others think when its your car you'll be playing the subs in anyway?
Nobody's opinion matters but your own. I just offered my insight based on 15+ years in the industry worth of experience, and my personal opinion, which is worth a lick of salt in the end.

If you're happy, keep the solobaric.
If you want something else (round) look at Elevation, Ascendant, or JL's W6v2 or W7 for starters.

by Worst Nightmare » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:06 pm

Nice. I'm refreshed by you guys indifference. I'm almost thinking of tossing my L7's.

And what should I purchase? I'm all ears!

Funny, I've also had Orion amps, which I LOVE btw. Had the old red comp 74wpc model for my soundstream comp sets in about 1995 or so.

I've had my L5 for about 6 months now w/o a problem. Why all the Kicker bashing?

by GlassWolf » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:05 pm

Worst Nightmare wrote:Ok, I started this thread so I just want to quash all the bulls**. I'm not a "kid", I'm 37 years old. I've been into car audio since I was 17. There were no "subs" back then. Only "cricket" series 6x9's/coaxs with the neon green cone. Does anyone here remember them? The only 6x9's at the time with a ~60 ounce magnet?
Yeah, they rocked back then in 1985 :) , only if you had an "in-dash" eq/amp that put out 100watts and blew fuses all the time. Their were no "subwoofers" back then. Only what my friend, whos parents owned the audio shop with Hifonics subs/components could get him.
I've followed car audio since then, along with my main interest - car performance. Granted, I've leaned more towards 0-60 perf in my vehicles than audio perfection (other than my carver/yamaha/jbl home audio system) over the years.
I just wanted an answer to the question I asked. No more, no less.
I appreciate all you guys that are really cool and answered my original ?.
JeremyC - EDIT. I found it. They should be the same size, but I would check the kicker web site to make sure. As for a diffrence, your doubeling the amps output, you should see a 2 to 3 db gain in output. And the L7 has a stronget motor, so I would check WinISD and see how it will work in your current box.
that is what I was looking for. whew!
THANK YOU.

Ah not so, my good sir.
I'm about your age, too and When I was 20, I had a festiva with two twelves, Orion amps, Alpine CD and EQs, 150A alternator, etc.. it existed, it just cost a fortune at the time.
There's been good car audio since the 80s more or less whic is about when companies like Cerwin Vega, Alpine, Eclipse, Orion, PPI, Rockford Fosgate, US Amps, and so forth got into the game.

Square subs suck due to design limitations and issues therein, such as uneven stress points, cone flex, surround failures, tinsel lead slap and separation, and catastrophic failures in under 6 months in many cases. This all leads to poor sound quality and poor reliability, but sure, they get loud due to the relatively large surface area, albiet limited excursion due to design.

by Darthness » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:04 pm

kicker is totally beter than focal and audison, from what i hear! :P just playin.

by GlassWolf » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:00 pm

main difference:

L7s suck. L5s suck more.

by MobileAudio219 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:46 pm

Worst Nightmare wrote:Sinister - no hard feelings. I like different perspectives. Maybe I'll learn something, lord knows I'm no expert on things I have no direct experience with. PM me and let me know how I should change/mod my system. I'm all ears for better system (not trying to be sarcastic).
I like you, you keep nice and calm.. I gave you rep points for it...

Top