by GlassWolf » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:46 pm
it works in a similar manner to an electrostatic or magnetic-planar speaker.
yeah I saw that episode.
basically, the panel is connected to a transducer that vibrates the panel at the desired frequencies.
really its mostly for show. you won't get the SQ or SPL out of one of those you would from a conventional sub, but they do take less space.
ESL and mag-planars work by having a metal mesh screen that's charged with an AC voltage. as the voltage is varied, the metal mesh resonates to the corresponding frequency of the voltage thus producing sound. ESLs are amazingly accurate speakers, but very inefficient as a trade-off, much like class A amplifiers.. great sound, but they suck power.
if you want to learn more about ESL tech, see
http://www.martinlogan.com
I'll see if I can find a site on those panels they used on the show.
it works in a similar manner to an electrostatic or magnetic-planar speaker.
yeah I saw that episode.
basically, the panel is connected to a transducer that vibrates the panel at the desired frequencies.
really its mostly for show. you won't get the SQ or SPL out of one of those you would from a conventional sub, but they do take less space.
ESL and mag-planars work by having a metal mesh screen that's charged with an AC voltage. as the voltage is varied, the metal mesh resonates to the corresponding frequency of the voltage thus producing sound. ESLs are amazingly accurate speakers, but very inefficient as a trade-off, much like class A amplifiers.. great sound, but they suck power.
if you want to learn more about ESL tech, see [url]http://www.martinlogan.com[/url]
I'll see if I can find a site on those panels they used on the show.