Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Building a new box

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Building a new box

by Dustin from Huntsville » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:52 pm

You won't get anywhere near 150 db's with 600 watts. It takes a lot of engineering to hit 150 db's with a single driver.

If you are hitting a legal 137 db's right now, set a goal for 140 and go from there. Find the Fs of your vehicle, build a box tuned to that frequency or slightly below it, and have lots of port area. Then trial and error :P

by 6three6mafia6 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:44 pm

damn 150 with one sub, thats a lot, cant help you dont know anything about decibels or compoteting, good luck though.

by William from NOLA » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:47 pm

It's been raining so I won't be building it today.

Building a new box

by William from NOLA » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:48 pm

Well, tomorrow I am going to build a new box for competitions. My two conficts are:
A. Build a box to fit behind the third row of seats in my van (largest box possible + large port)
B. Build a huge box to fill up the back (only two rows of seats in)

This box will have a huge port, but I'm not sure what to tune it to (WinISD shows a good gain at 45 hz). I'm aiming for about 6 cubic feet. For USACi, I could go under stock 0-300 with A (above). With the other, I'd be in modified. I'm not sure which route to go. With my old head unit, I hit 137.4 dB in my current box. My new head unit does make my sub a bit louder, so I'm guessing I've got a little over 140 dB.

Do you guys think I could break 150 dB with the right box? I'm going to build a slot ported large box to try to beat this!

I have a Brahma 15" and a JBL 600.1. My current box is 4.5 cubic foot, slot-ported at 30hz.

Top