Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

My Comp VR Is Gunna Blow

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: My Comp VR Is Gunna Blow

by TyHawk » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:25 am

I would be careful hooking up new speakers to that amp. The speakers are not the problem here.
You dont wana ruin new ones with a defective amp.
Try hooking up a different speaker to the amp. If it wants to distort, no matter what you hook up, its the amp, HU or wiring, not the speaker.
If another speaker still distorts hook your speaker to a different amp. Ill bet it sounds fine.

That speaker should sound quite good with that amp under normal circumstances.

I wouldnt trust the wiring or the Xover setup.

by kevinberry1 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:25 pm

KikiTheCat wrote:this is like deja vu
all over again

Just couldn't resist adding Yogi's part :bigwink:

by GlassWolf » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:20 am

120VAC, 60Hz. the speaker should survive that if it's in an enclosure and the signal is clean. If you're doing this without any suspension for the driver, of course you're going to damage it.
You'd be an idiot to even try it that way.
That aside, if you're blowing subs in your car, it's most likely not the subs.. it's the settings of your amplifier, of a lack of current for that amp causing your problems.

this is like deja vu

by spkrman » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:02 pm

audiobass10 wrote:lol, the comp VR's are good but I guarantee I could blow one of them in a 120V wall socket in a matter of seconds.
as is true with most woofs

the kicker tech... hmmm?

by audiobass10 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:38 pm

NorthQuad wrote:Well I'm going to try the 12" Kicker Comp VR's again. I've popped two of them with ease even though the Kicker tech said you could plug them into a wall and they wouldn't. I'm just not going to deal with the same guy, he's not going to get any more of my money. I'm going with a local shop here in the city I moved to. The guy gave me a sweet deal over the phone on 2 12" Comp VR's and a slot vented dual box. That should do me fine for the Bass I'm looking for. I'll have it in the truck next Tuesday, I can't wait.
lol, the comp VR's are good but I guarantee I could blow one of them in a 120V wall socket in a matter of seconds.

by NorthQuad » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:40 pm

Well I'm going to try the 12" Kicker Comp VR's again. I've popped two of them with ease even though the Kicker tech said you could plug them into a wall and they wouldn't. I'm just not going to deal with the same guy, he's not going to get any more of my money. I'm going with a local shop here in the city I moved to. The guy gave me a sweet deal over the phone on 2 12" Comp VR's and a slot vented dual box. That should do me fine for the Bass I'm looking for. I'll have it in the truck next Tuesday, I can't wait.

by spkrman » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:47 pm

Scarrell wrote:heeeeey thats no reason to not buy Kicker again.... Comp VR's are good subs, you just got a bad install... but sorry to hear that, what will you go with next? :words
exactamundo

by NorthQuad » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:53 pm

I'm not sure I what kind of sub I will go with. I might listen to the good, bad and ugly list here in the CAC. Those Resonant Engineering subs had a good sound on that Realmofexcursion site. I just need something that can take a bit of abuse and sound very loud with good sound quality. Isn't that what subs are supposed to be all about? I'm just really disapointed at the moment with the ammount of money I spent and the outcome I recieved. What sub should I go with guys?

by Scarrell » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:15 pm

heeeeey thats no reason to not buy Kicker again.... Comp VR's are good subs, you just got a bad install... but sorry to hear that, what will you go with next? :words

by NorthQuad » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:06 pm

Well guy's I turned the Bass Boost and the Gain way down from where the guy that installed the system had them. The sub would seem to keep slapping when it would hit certain frequencies anyway. I still couldn't get any thump out of it, I mean the mirror would hardly shake but the sub would snap at me whenever it would be time for a good decibal to kick out. About 30 minutes ago after playing it for about 5 minutes it snapped at me again and now it's blown. It won't even move when I try to push it in. In all my days af abuseing the cheap stuff that would pound for hours without even makeing a stink I've never had a sub seize like this, heck I've never had a sub even blow. I will never buy Kicker again.

Top