Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

head unit repair in progress, please chime in:

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: head unit repair in progress, please chime in:

by falkenbd » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:01 am

well, i had fun soldering the resistor to those wires :)

by Jon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:58 am

falkenbd wrote:the power supply needs to see a load at all times...

since I wanted to be able to take the alligator plugs on and off my wires, I needed that resistor to keep the Power supply on. Not sure but it might go up in smoke if you trip the sense wire with no load...


Nah it will be just fine. In fact I have powered up an ATX PSU this way with no load many of times. Sometimes for hours and no issue. When we used to do computer shows, we would power on the PSUs on display so people could hear how quiet they were, or see the lights if they had any. We would plug them in before the show and they would run all day long without any load (other than the internal fan).

by falkenbd » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:52 pm

so I called the place I ordered the cable from, they are "Looking into it" ...

man I hope I don't get screwed...

I ordered a new OEM dash kit a few weeks back and they sent the wrong pocket - turns out there ordering system was screwed up.. I ended up paying an extra $20 to get everything I needed.

by falkenbd » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:41 am

the power supply needs to see a load at all times...

since I wanted to be able to take the alligator plugs on and off my wires, I needed that resistor to keep the Power supply on. Not sure but it might go up in smoke if you trip the sense wire with no load...

by Jon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:51 am

Congrats! I am curious, was there a reason why you added the resistor on the 5v line? All that was needed was to ground the green wire and it would have powered on the ATX PSU.

by falkenbd » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:31 pm

wow, i didn't have to open any of the stuff that I opened...

Image

looks like I'll be calling the place I ordered my cable from tomorrow...

by falkenbd » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:30 pm

got the power supply to work. here is a few pics of the process:

soldered a resistoer between a 5v and ground:

Image

Image

Image

soldered the sense, and a ground to make it on all the time... imporant - don't leave it plugged in:

Image

added alligator plugs to a 12v and ground:

Image

by falkenbd » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:47 pm

if you look in the next pictures, the motor and gears that run the deck face are attached to a little frame. I took out the screws for that frame and was hoping it'd help me get the face off.

No such luck, looks like I need to get a 12v battery to do this for sure. more updates tomorrow

Image

Image

by falkenbd » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:30 pm

opened this little cover on the bottom...

Image

Image

comparing new cable:
Image

by Ryan from Ohio » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:18 pm

Not at all.

Cheaper to do it yourself than a shop. If you can hack it.

Looks like you will do just fine.

Top