by Jonathan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:57 pm
The 240Gts are essentially similar to the 240MkIIs, except the midbass driver has a stamped frame instead of the typical cast frame. It was done to better accomodate vehicles with 6.5" speaker locations, the 240MkIIs can be a little large for some cars. The 240Gts, buildwise, are actually a bit lower in quality than the MkIIs are, mainly the suspension and motor alignment, joints and all for some reason are not put together as well, for whatever reason. A stamped frame doesn't have to be a bad thing if well designed, but in this case it is.
Past that, Car Audio and Electronics has tested both sets if you want the data. I'm not too big on subjective reviews, but I'm one that believes one datasheet from a credible source is better than 1000 opinions. Fortunately performance data is offered by CA&E for both sets:
http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/ ... akers.html
http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/ ... index.html
The only set I'd consider a competitor to the Polks in their price range would be the SEAS Lotus Reference components.
Dyn and Morel have slacked in the last couple years, I guess Dyn is really starting to show it's wounds having lost Skaaning. Morel licenses from Dyn's technology, so you can see how they suffer similarly due to the limitations of the motor design by today's standards. It isn't just that anymore, it's like the build quality is going down the crapper too compared to, say, a decade ago. Hell, the Hi-Vi 6.8 is a knockoff of the Dyn/Morel midbasses and actually outperforms them in distortion and only costs $60 per driver.
The 240Gts are essentially similar to the 240MkIIs, except the midbass driver has a stamped frame instead of the typical cast frame. It was done to better accomodate vehicles with 6.5" speaker locations, the 240MkIIs can be a little large for some cars. The 240Gts, buildwise, are actually a bit lower in quality than the MkIIs are, mainly the suspension and motor alignment, joints and all for some reason are not put together as well, for whatever reason. A stamped frame doesn't have to be a bad thing if well designed, but in this case it is.
Past that, Car Audio and Electronics has tested both sets if you want the data. I'm not too big on subjective reviews, but I'm one that believes one datasheet from a credible source is better than 1000 opinions. Fortunately performance data is offered by CA&E for both sets:
[url]http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0511cae_polk_audio_sr6500_car_speakers/polk_audio_car_speakers.html[/url]
[url]http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0601cae_dynaudio_system_240mk2_car_loudspeakers/index.html[/url]
The only set I'd consider a competitor to the Polks in their price range would be the SEAS Lotus Reference components.
Dyn and Morel have slacked in the last couple years, I guess Dyn is really starting to show it's wounds having lost Skaaning. Morel licenses from Dyn's technology, so you can see how they suffer similarly due to the limitations of the motor design by today's standards. It isn't just that anymore, it's like the build quality is going down the crapper too compared to, say, a decade ago. Hell, the Hi-Vi 6.8 is a knockoff of the Dyn/Morel midbasses and actually outperforms them in distortion and only costs $60 per driver.