Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

So now that Eclipse's quality has officially

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: So now that Eclipse's quality has officially

by GlassWolf » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:37 am

I despise digital volume knobs. They were actually what drove me to using the Orion 300PRQ preamp.. so I could get a real, analog volume knob again.

by geolemon » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:46 am

Hence why I have an Alpine 7894 in one vehicle (practically an entry-level... lowest unit with 1-bit DAC, time alignment, and MP3 capability (I converted many of my old cassette tapes to MP3 - crackles and all :p )...
...and a Pioneer 8600MP in the other car (also similar high end CD transport and DAC, also time alignment and MP3, and even more features I don't use - ergonomics and menu on this deck are great, but no mute button like my Alpine, and you can't "whip" the volume knob down - the only thing I think this deck lacks).

by GlassWolf » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:33 am

See, people always say "I want the best, no matter what! I want top of the line!"

Then I point out what that is, and they gag at the cost, and say, "Ok well what can I get for what's in my pocket?"

Yeah, that's what I thought. I wish people would just come out and state a budget right off the bat, so we wouldn't have to play these games :P
want the best? door speakers are ten grand. head unit is 5 to 7 grand, amps are about 2 to 3 grand each, and so forth. That's the best. Want what you can actually afford? Tell me what you can afford and I can suggest what might be the best for you.

by solacedagony » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:27 am

mrbillydee wrote:Top of the line cost money. :argh
Sometimes so much that you are so far beyond the "point of diminishing returns" that it exercises my gag reflex :unwell028 lol

by mrbillydee » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:47 pm

ENVYMYZ wrote:Critical = Anal.
If it's not top of the line, then I dont want it is my theory.
ENVYMYZ wrote: Alas I cant afford those kinds of toys at the moment.


Top of the line cost money. :argh

by ENVYMYZ » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:16 pm

GlassWolf wrote:nakamichi wa...

...you won't find a better unit made for the car for the purist (read snob)
lol Snob. I like that. Alas I cant afford those kinds of toys at the moment, but I did purchase the Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT. We'll see how it compares to the Eclipse 8445.

by GlassWolf » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:57 pm

nakamichi was known for their tape transports. their current units aren't anything to write home about, but they're decent.
mintosh, now owned by DMC (Denon/Marantz) still makes amazing amplifiers.

if you want a top of the line head unit, go the route I went, and find a (used) Alpine F#1status CDA-7990 and PXA-H900
the pair should go for about 3 to 5 grand used. that's the AM/FM/CD player and the digital processor unit that connects with optical link.
works as the EQ, crossover, time management, etc.
you won't find a better unit made for the car for the purist (read snob)

by ENVYMYZ » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:04 pm

All excellent points. I think I need to pull my cranium out of my anal cavity and rethink my criteria for what I define as a top of the line head unit. :doh

Sometimes I get too caught up with brand loyalty and forget that other good units exist. I've been into audio my whole life, but didnt get into SQ based car audio until the late 90's, which is what I meant when Eclipse had some really good head units out. It really piqued my interest when my buddy borrowed his older brothers maxima. To this day, it has been the best sound system I have ever heard (which isnt to say all that much, since I havent heard too many SQ systems) but he was running an Eclipse headunit, boston acoustics mids, rockford fosgate sub, xtant amps, and if memory serves me right - dynaudio tweeters?? It was like being right in the recording studio as they made the tracks, thats how clear it all sounded. :)

You mentioned Nakamichi and McIntosh. Are they not doing car audio anymore??

Nakamichi was another one of my contenders but I decided that it was a little "too" plain for me. Optimally im looking for a quality unit that has awesome SQ capabilities. Im liking the Pioneer Premier lineup as well as Eclipses cd5 and 7000 units. Of course the Alpine F1Status is nice but a bit on the pricey side for me.

by geolemon » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:39 pm

ENVYMYZ wrote:Critical = Anal.
If it's not top of the line, then I dont want it is my theory.
I think you are missing my point... (and my continued quote below seems to back it up)

"Top of the line" - by whose standard?
Which aspect
of the deck do you want to be "top of the line?"
Or do you just want a head unit that other people get in your car and go "Duude... I've heard good things about that one."
Or do you just want people to get in your car and go "Duude... that's an expensive deck."
What do you want your HU to do for YOU, is all I'm asking. ]But back to Eclipse...anyone that really knows Eclipse knows that it was THE headunit to have in the 90's. They have always been a speciality brand found at specialty shops and dealers. [/quote]Perhaps in your area it was "the" head unit to have - all areas have their trends. In the late 80's/early 90's, Orion was the amp and sub brand "to have" in my area. In other people's area not far from here, Pioneer was the king (and often for other reasons - which is my point of this whole ramble :p ). And Alpine's black amps preceding their V12 line are legendary even today - very popular with SQ competitors (Remember Todd Matsubara?), prompted me to invest in the V12's first year of release (1995?)

In fact, recalling back to top IASCA finishers throughout the 90's, Eclipse wasn't nearly as popular as an Alpine - particularly with the continuing evolution of their F#1 status line.

And really, the hot trend in the later part of the 90's was copper chassis (remember that one?)... Nakamichi and Denon for the uber elitists. :happy055: (People still are seeking out the DenonFords, right? :help: )

I'm not knocking either Eclipse, nor local trends - but I would knock any temptation to generalize about a brand, without significant insight backwards into it's operation - particularly with such a large, Japanese corporate entity such as Fujitsu Ten. Their priority always has been, and always will be to make money. It's perfectly logical - in fact, a windfall victory - for them to expand their customer base into mainstream stores. They are a corporation, not a friend to the little guy. ;)
There have been rumblings about Eclipses quality going down for a while now, and with the advent of them being sold at Circuit City as of January 2006, it only makes sense that the quality will go down. They are mass marketed now which means they want to push sales, and when that happens quality usually suffers. Im not even going to start getting into all the issues im having with my 8445 that has already been "repaired" once, 1 month after purchasing it. It still has problems and will need to be replaced.
:banghead
Fujitsu Ten has always been an outsourcing company, and traditionally they've struck some great relationships. TC Sounds manufacturing their subwoofers - that's why they are great, not because Eclipse had their hands in it. I believe they build electronics in house, and the Japanese are traditionally good at electronics manufacturing. But they are a corporation - they aren't building HR-100's and Thesis amps... they just build decent amps.
And decent HU's.
And now they are increasing their manufacturing volumes.
Probably stressing the limits of their manufacturing lines.
Probably they realize this.
Probably they'll implement changes to restore the quality to what it once was. Someday.
Probably this is all speculation though. ;)

I wouldn't get hung up on a brand name - even with Alpine, there is disappointment in some of their models. Even with Pioneer. Hell, even with Nakamichi and McIntosh (RIP though their car line may be).

So again, I guess-
Specifically what features, or what specs/measurements do you wish your HU to excel at? And do you want "bang for the buck" (meeting your requirement at a price point you can brag about), or do you want "I spent more than you spent" (meeting your requirement at a price point you can brag about)?

Hopefully that clarifies.
It might help to expand at what point in the 1990's you came into car audio, for the rest of us old-timers (and there are a lot of us here on this forum :p ) to place your point of reference?

by Justin from Detroit1 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:38 pm

ENVYMYZ wrote:Critical = Anal.
Then I sure do love critical sex!

Top