by geolemon » Mon May 29, 2006 8:10 pm
mikee816 wrote:im debating between these three amplifiers
Orion 1200D
MB Quart RAA1000
ED Nine.1
Well, I'm not going to say that ANY of these amplifiers won't get you exactly the performance that you are looking for...
...but it's painful to me to see
1) Orion amplifiers that are corporate "asian circuitboard clone stamps", bearing no resemblance to the high-end innovator that Orion once was, back in the day - it would be as if Kia started building the Corvette - sure, the Corvette badge is still there, but... Well, nice looking heatsinks anyway, but it's the guts that bother me. I've never seen such an obfuscated circuit design, and the components are less than impressive. And maybe it doesn't help my impression that the 2 year old XTR amp I have in my posession came to be in my posession because it's dead like a paperweight.
2) MB Quart - again, another company whose heritage was incredible, built their name around truly innovative, superior products, heralded by IASCA top competitors - at least back in the day. That was before three bankruptcy filings in recent years, three changes in ownership (most recently Rockford Fosgate said "I want out!" and sold the company to MaxxSonics) - so my concern here would be "who knows who is really building what these days, and what designs even bear any resemblance of the originals?"
3) The Nine.1 I am not going to comment about - I simply wasn't impressed with the circuit layout and componentry - bear in mind I'm not an electrical engineer (though I do have a few years through an electrical engineering program back in the college years), but I currently work within a high-tech electronics contract manufacturer, who has some very high profile contracts with NASA and satellite communications owners, etc. I should say, I wasn't impressed, so I asked my resources there to check it out, who weren't either.
Check out this website, in your hunt for your amplifier -
http://www.ampguts.com (it has a redirect page to the longer addresss that I can never remember) - even to a layman, it can be quite apparant what circuit boards and components mounted on those circuit boards are impressive / significant, vs. ones that are not.
I believe there are pictures of ALL the amps you mentioned on that website.
Might be helpful to peek at.
[quote="mikee816"]im debating between these three amplifiers
Orion 1200D
MB Quart RAA1000
ED Nine.1[/quote]
Well, I'm not going to say that ANY of these amplifiers won't get you exactly the performance that you are looking for...
...but it's painful to me to see
1) Orion amplifiers that are corporate "asian circuitboard clone stamps", bearing no resemblance to the high-end innovator that Orion once was, back in the day - it would be as if Kia started building the Corvette - sure, the Corvette badge is still there, but... Well, nice looking heatsinks anyway, but it's the guts that bother me. I've never seen such an obfuscated circuit design, and the components are less than impressive. And maybe it doesn't help my impression that the 2 year old XTR amp I have in my posession came to be in my posession because it's dead like a paperweight. :p
2) MB Quart - again, another company whose heritage was incredible, built their name around truly innovative, superior products, heralded by IASCA top competitors - at least back in the day. That was before three bankruptcy filings in recent years, three changes in ownership (most recently Rockford Fosgate said "I want out!" and sold the company to MaxxSonics) - so my concern here would be "who knows who is really building what these days, and what designs even bear any resemblance of the originals?" :sad017:
3) The Nine.1 I am not going to comment about - I simply wasn't impressed with the circuit layout and componentry - bear in mind I'm not an electrical engineer (though I do have a few years through an electrical engineering program back in the college years), but I currently work within a high-tech electronics contract manufacturer, who has some very high profile contracts with NASA and satellite communications owners, etc. I should say, I wasn't impressed, so I asked my resources there to check it out, who weren't either. :D
Check out this website, in your hunt for your amplifier - [url]http://www.ampguts.com[/url] (it has a redirect page to the longer addresss that I can never remember) - even to a layman, it can be quite apparant what circuit boards and components mounted on those circuit boards are impressive / significant, vs. ones that are not. ;)
I believe there are pictures of ALL the amps you mentioned on that website.
Might be helpful to peek at.