Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Some wiring / speaker wattage questions

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Some wiring / speaker wattage questions

by Waldodamon » Sun May 28, 2006 7:12 am

Rave'n wrote:Yes you are right I am sorry , Damn and I knew that I dont know why I said that.
It's all good man, no sweat. I think everyone knew what you were implying, I just wanted to make sure the original poster had it clear, that's all. I hope I didn't come off as a dick about it.....definitely a big sorry if I did man!!!

::EDIT:: But thanks for the neg rep rave'n, it's good to see my apology meant something, and that by being correct about an issue you can expect the mentality of CAF.

by GlassWolf » Sat May 27, 2006 1:10 pm

Rivers wrote:Couple of questions folks:
1. For 8 ohm speakers that are going to be drawing power from a 4 ohm amplifier, does it need to be wired differently?
If you have two 8 ohm speakers and they're full range, you'll get half of the 4 ohm rated power of the amp to each speaker. amplifiers have minimum ohm ratings, but they generally run from the minimum up to 16 ohms without a problem, and each time the ohm load is doubled, the power is halved. (approximately)
2. I see a couple of posts about giving extra wattage to speakers which results in a increase in db levels. On the flip side, if I am not after SPL, is there is a minimum amount of power that is required for the speakers to sound optimal?
Well, yes. you need enough power to move the speaker cones enough to produce the volumes you desire. The amount of power you really need depends on a lot of things. the speakers, the enclosure if they'r esubs, the type of car (cabin air volume and signal path lengths) etc
I read somewhere else that tweeters at 15 watts can generate quite a load db-wise. Having extra headroom is always a good thing I suppose, but what would be a rough minimal gauge for it to sound optimal?
same answer. depends entirely on a lot of factors. remember you're talking about the reflectiveness of the car interior, the signal path length, the efficiency of the speaker (varies widely with tweeters more than anything else), the amount of power used, the rest of the system balancing out the tweeters, and so forth.

by Rave'n » Sat May 27, 2006 11:57 am

Yes you are right I am sorry , Damn and I knew that I dont know why I said that.

by Waldodamon » Sat May 27, 2006 11:20 am

Rave'n wrote:If you wire them together in series it will bring the impedance on the amp down to 4 ohms.
Still dont know how to post pics.lol
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/home/
^^ This site can help you with wiring them together.
Am I missing something? Wiring two 8 ohm subs in series is going to halve the impedance? I tend to disagree on the basis of physics.....I believe that if you wire two 8 ohm subs in series, they will produce a 16 ohm load. However, if you wire those two subs in PARALLEL, then the impedance WILL be halved, and they will produce a 4 ohm load....

by Rivers » Thu May 25, 2006 8:23 pm

tweeters are 4 ohms, max rms should be around 200wrms, long-term usage should be around 100wrms?

long term usage for the 7" drivers is 80wrms.

by Rave'n » Thu May 25, 2006 7:48 pm

what ohm and rms are your tweeters?

your speaker should be fine.

by High Society » Thu May 25, 2006 7:47 pm

well you will be gettin low wattage from that amp at 8 ohms.....Whats the rms on the woofers?

by Rivers » Thu May 25, 2006 7:36 pm

These are 7" drivers, single 8ohms. Powered by a 4-channel amp that does 60w at 4 ohms. I am not planning on bridging the channels as 2 of them will be powering my tweeters.

by High Society » Thu May 25, 2006 7:33 pm

Also, are they single 8ohm, dual 8 ohm? How many subs do you have? What kinda amp?

by Rave'n » Thu May 25, 2006 7:26 pm

No, you wire the speakers to 4 ohm then bridge your amp.

Ohm's refer to the impedance on your amp.
Higher the impedance the lower the power to the subs will be.

Top