Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Silk or metallic

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Silk or metallic

by Jonathan » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:49 pm

Keep in mind it's all in fun, Mike :D . I've been considering the Iridium 3 ways for my truck, that dome mid can work wonders when tuned right and they tailor themselves to an install better than Dyns. Both have attributes I'm very fond of.

by GlassWolf » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:36 pm

I haven't had any issues getting a smooth blend from my Dyn 8" midbass to a 12" sub, myself.. but I guess a lot of that also comes down to crossovers and system design, plus installation. How well the system is installed can make or breake a 3-way front stage in one simple stroke.

Anyway I think you'd be happy with DLS or Dyn.. both are great speaker companies and neither would really let you down.
Just remember a good front stage needs power, so use an amp, and positioning and location/path length along with phasing is as if not more important than the speakers you choose.
How good they sound is going to depend largely on how well they're installed and set up.

by Jonathan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:24 am

mikechec9 wrote:Hey Jon. But you're referring to the 2ways though, correct (240, 6.2)? The 6.3 3" is far from dark, although I can certainly see how the 6.5 would be described as such if left to the task of reproducing complete mid-range (solely).
Yup, mainly the 2 ways, but the Dyn midrange is a little more open and clearer out of the box. Keep in mind this is before tuning comes into play.
mikechec9 wrote:Also, the 3" compensate for the inadequacies of the tweets' lower end. They take over competently anywhere from at least 2-4k, all the way down to 315 Hz (stats boast 200-8kHz). Just as a comparison, the Dyn 140/2 only goes as low as 5-600 Hz. Another facet of the 340 attributing to its relatively lesser ability :lgh (Hey, I have my biases too).
With far less linear excursion than the Dyn mid has, the Dyn mid is cleaner too :lgh A 3" dome mid can't do justice to a good 7" or 8" midbass driver until you get past around 800hz, far too much distortion. Just take a look at where home audio systems cross a dome mid over at :D A 4" cone mid with decent excursion capabilities has trouble that low.

by mikechec9 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:30 am

Jonathan wrote: DLS has a little more midbass attack, midrange is darker. Tweets of both are pretty similar, though the DLS tweets have a little more "oomph" in upper treble extension while the Dyn tweets do a little better in lower treble extension. Subtle differences, though.
Hey Jon. But you're referring to the 2ways though, correct (240, 6.2)? The 6.3 3" is far from dark, although I can certainly see how the 6.5 would be described as such if left to the task of reproducing complete mid-range (solely). Also, the 3" compensate for the inadequacies of the tweets' lower end. They take over competently anywhere from at least 2-4k, all the way down to 315 Hz (stats boast 200-8kHz). Just as a comparison, the Dyn 140/2 only goes as low as 5-600 Hz. Another facet of the 340 attributing to its relatively lesser ability :lgh (Hey, I have my biases too).

by MrSo0h0o » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:54 am

i dont have the newer model D6's but i have a set of CM3's by diamond audio and they are quite nice, but i feel the midbass is lacking.. im giving them ~75 watts or so using a passive xo but they are rated for 120 i believe.. have the silk tweeter and it still is a bit harsh...

by veggie-man » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:19 am

i saw you wanted some diamond... they do make 6.5 in here they are

http://www.diamondaudio.com/products/in ... e=2&model=

i really have never tried them although i really want to. if anyone has tried these let us know how they sound.

by Jonathan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:48 am

DLS tweet is very similar to the Dyn in the smoothness category. Dyn tends to do a tad better in lower response, though, I feel the Dyns are a bit better in 2 way fashion. Ok, ok, in 3 ways too, I've stated my bias :D

Sets are very similar, though. DLS Iridiums were originally built by Morel, who licenses from Dynaudio. Motors are very similar, external 3" voice coil, about the same excursion. Dyns are more laid back overall, very smooth and neutral. DLS has a little more midbass attack, midrange is darker. Tweets of both are pretty similar, though the DLS tweets have a little more "oomph" in upper treble extension while the Dyn tweets do a little better in lower treble extension. Subtle differences, though.

by TyHawk » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:55 am

Looks like there are 2 dealers in Montana, but they are under home audio not car audio.
I notice DLS offers some silk dome tweets as well .

by GlassWolf » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:03 am

eBay I see the MkII 240 sets go for around $550/set if I recall correctly..
It's been a bit since I looked though.

My system 360 retails for $1200 for their top model 3-way set.
http://www.dynaudiousa.com/

PS DLS is very good too, but I don't recall the characteristics of their tweeters. the ONLY reason I didn't suggest them.

by sinister audio » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:37 pm

really there is a dealer in montana? i know im the only dealer for DLS in like 6 states so i find that kinda funny.

Top