Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Most underrated brands

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Most underrated brands

by LoudS10Blazer » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:31 pm

If you think DD is too expensive and are looking for like the 95 series, why not try the Audioque?

by LoudS10Blazer » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:30 pm

Fusion amps.
Atomic Subs

by Ryan from Ohio » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:55 am

From my previous discussion with Steve @ DD.

They do OEM subs with any name you want on them. Trouble is you got to buy a skid of them at a time. If you buy a skid of subs then you have safety stock to cover until the next shipment...

Most dont buy DD because its not the current hyped brand. Also the price, they are NOT CHEAP. But hey they are hand assembled in the states and are QUALITY. not Asian sourced garbage!

blah

If I had spare cash I would buy some DD, maybe some OEM's

by Justin from Detroit1 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:38 am

People don't use DD because they are a month back in production. I was going to be a dealer for them, but I was then informed that whatever I order will take them a month to build and ship to me. Let's be honest no customer wants to wait a month for a subwoofer.

by OnYrMrk » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:26 am

Believe it or not, Digital Designs started out in Home audio. they have some of the sweetest sounding home theater applications I have ever heard, and they cost less than the JM labs I just bought. Back in '96, a guy locally here in OKC coerced Digital Designs to fabricate him some subs to use in his comp car. The guy's name was Randy Coles. DD then built him some subs at roughly 2500 bucks each, since they never really built subs for a car before. Randy bought all three and competed in IASCA with that car (toyota celica). That car hit harder than his last car with 8 Kicker 15s powered by 2 Power 1000 Rockfords. If I remember correctly Randy used 3 Orion 2250s to power the DDs. He went to IASCA nationals, not sure where he placed, but I am nearly certain that is where DD started getting into the car audio field. I was at CES that next year ('97) and DD was rolling out their line of Car Audio subs.
People couldn't get enough of them when another team from Oklahoma City used 6 15's with about 6000w to each to win DBDrag's National Champs (David and Daniel Baldwin) and their suburban. I remember that truck was awarded "World's loudest daily driven vehicle" by the DBdrag people.

Any whoo...DD is definately a force to be reconned with.

by Jonathan » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:14 am

"I haven't heard of any issues with the MT frying coils? I'll take your word for it..."

Keep in mind these are the results from SPL competition, with enormous power put into it. With a more average user, they aren't really going to have any issues. For some reason there are a lot of guys wanting these in their daily driver, though they don't intend to get full potential out of them.

DD is pretty renowned for building the toughest subs in the industry. Whether that justifies the price tag is up to the user. I wouldn't plop over 1 grand on an SPL sub, but I'm not an SPL guy, either.

The next underappreciated brands IMO are Clarion and Eclipse(head units). Especially the DRZ9255 HU and Eclipse 8455. Eclipse makes extremely good Navigation and DVD units as well. Overall, both very good head units that tend to be overlooked in the world of Alpine pushers.

by audiobass10 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:02 am

I haven't heard of any issues with the MT frying coils? I'll take your word for it, but my point was for the price tag i'll take 2 MT's over 1 DD9900 anyday. Arent they around $1k-1.2k per sub for the 9900s? Like I said some people prefer the MT..i've had no experience with either woofer.

by Jonathan » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:49 am

"Most people aren 't willing to throw down that much money on their top dog SPL subwoofer which is inferior to the RE MT in some peoples mind."

RE MT isn't built nearly as strong as a 9500 or 9900 series DD. MT has a lot of issues frying coils in competition. Most cases the DD gets louder, too.

by audiobass10 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:46 am

If I remember correctly, Earthquake's amplifiers had some designs flaws. They put out plenty of power but people had problems with them blowing often. Digital Designs is a great company, but their subs are just overpriced IMO. Most people aren 't willing to throw down that much money on their top dog SPL subwoofer which is inferior to the RE MT in some peoples mind.

by Ryan from Ohio » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:03 am

Atomic has to be one that comes to mind. So many people have never heard of them, but just look for yourself:

http://www.atomicspeakers.com/productin ... XX18D.html

That sub there properly powered would DESTROY about any sub on the market...

Problem is powering it :happy048:

The plain X series is awesome as well.

Shocker Audio... I think they are now defunct but some products can still be found for sale. I guess shocker was about 45 mins away from me in NW ohio...

They had some excellent stuff about 2 years ago...

Earthquake. The PHD amps were and still are awesome amps. They also make a bunch of subs that seem to always be changing. Good quality stuff for sure!

Can you say Holees or subzero? :cheers:

Last but certainly not least Digital Designs.

I just cant understand why they are not used more?

:dancing

Top