Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Eclipse Head Unit theft?

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Eclipse Head Unit theft?

by High Society » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:11 pm

But you can't show that off to your friends. The more colors your CD player is, the more babes you can get

by Jonathan » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:06 pm

I'd rather just see a company make a tasteful, elegant head unit without gimmicky displays and bling accents. The Nakamichi CD700 is an excellent example, just on the pricy side. In the words of Da Vinci, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

by High Society » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:47 am

The difference is that if your Eclipse unit is stolen, they will replace it unlike Alpine and Pioneer
I'm assuming that you need to by it brand new, and have the S# and what not. But if it was used would they still do the same thing? I do put my faceplate in the glove box, locked up tho. I know they can still get in but it will take a lil more time. When I'm at home I take my faceplate in. Any were else it goes in the glove.

by lotas » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:40 am

Yeah that does look semi-irritating to mess with controls and CDs with in park.

I've always thought it would be cool to have a company make "covers" that go over HU's when the faceplate is off, and have it look like the stock radio on the outside. Of course it would be extremely difficult with every car and dash kits and such, but would be a cool product.

by William from NOLA » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:44 am

With the HU down there, you might have to be in D to put a cd in.

by ridr4lif » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:31 pm

If the stock HU is a pain in the arse to get out, you might as well just leave it and put your new HU like shown in the pic. If the dash requires extensive modification to fit a new HU, it might be more of a pita than to put it in a diff location.

by tj80 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:01 pm

Interesting thoughts... Also my car (Mazda3) has a HU that is kind of integrated into the dash... I may consider leaving it in and just power it, as a giant paperweight/clock.

Then mount the new HU elsewhere in the dash. With the faceplate off, it might not be readily apparent that there was an aftermarket unit in there. Kind of like this:

Image

All of the dash kits for the 3 look kind of mediocre anyways... so this might be okay. Kind of weird having 2 HUs there though.

by Jonathan » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:37 pm

The difference is that if your Eclipse unit is stolen, they will replace it unlike Alpine and Pioneer. That, to me, is more comforting than just taking a faceplate off. I don't know a lot of people that actually carry their faceplate with them, as I wouldn't or couldn't in the workplace and the places I go to. Thieves know (assume) that most people just put the faceplate in a glovebox or center console, so regardless of whether they get the head unit or not, they'll likely break your windows and tear your dash up trying to steal it anyway. It happens quite often. I've even seen people that steal the faceplate and trash it just because the person pissed them off, rendering the entire head unit useless and having to go through a bunch of hassle trying to get a new one. That's why it's critical to have an alarm and also insurance that covers these things. You can also use star screws or even allen screws to ensure that the thief can't take the unit out with a simple screwdriver or a nut driver/wrench, as Onyrmark has shown with his system.

by ridr4lif » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:24 pm

x3. If the HU doesnt have the faceplate, its useless.

by High Society » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:54 pm

I have always thought removeable faces were best.
X2, I'm sure most people have no ideal about ESN, they will just see the whole unit, and go ahead and pull it out. Removing the faceplate I would say is the best way to go.

Top