Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Excess noise from subs

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Excess noise from subs

by racerraul » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:53 am

kevinberry1 wrote:I was also thinking of taking out my HU and checking the ground there, although the amp for my components doesn't make noise.
Just make sure that you finnish testing 1 component at a time... not a good troubleshoting practice to loose focus & make changes elsewhere... Finish with the amp... if it checks out ok then move on to something else up the signal chain... the HU should be the last piece you check if all else checks out 1st.

by kevinberry1 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:28 am

I bypassed it and have been running it without the crossover for a few weeks and the noise is still there. Has anyone ever heard of getting this type of noise when using the electric windows? That is what bothers me the most. I can't seem to figure out why that would happen if the problem was with the amp.

I'll try the muting plug this weekend and see if I can isolate the noise. I was also thinking of taking out my HU and checking the ground there, although the amp for my components doesn't make noise.

Thanks for your help Kiki and Raul, I'm determined to find the source of the problem :)

by GlassWolf » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:20 pm

kevin, with that plug, you just short the center pin to the outer shielding edge of each RCA connector on the amp's input.

if you plug a cheap throw away set of RCA cables into the amp, you can cut the connectors off of the other end, strip off the wire shielding, and twist the center wire and the outer wire together.
that's a muting plug.

hey as a thought, try bypassing the 3XS and see if the noise persists.
I've heard of issues with AC signal processors having a grounding issue related to a jumper under the cover on the PC board.. they can cause issues like yours.
bypass the crossover and see if the problems stop.

by kevinberry1 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:25 pm

racerraul wrote:When you cut the wire... there wil be 2 smaller wires within... connect them together.
And then do I just connect them to the amp's RCA input?

by racerraul » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:20 pm

When you cut the wire... there wil be 2 smaller wires within... connect them together.

by kevinberry1 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:24 pm

racerraul wrote:
A muting plug is an RCA with both conductors wires withing shorted. You can make your own out of a cheap set of RCA cables.
I'll give that a try, thanks!
I have some extra RCA cables so can you tell me how to make that? I didn't get the part about the conductors being shorted.

by racerraul » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:16 pm

Like I said...

The idea is to zero the input signal at the amp... This is the proper way to troubleshoot your amp. If you are having ANY noise be it turn on/off, or hums & high noise floor with the muting plug... it is a good way for you to know IT IS definitely your amp & not something further up the chain in your system...

Not my idea... but rather the way I was thought to troubleshoot by professionals in the field...

Just trying to help...

by kevinberry1 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:06 pm

The noise happens more frequently than when it is turned on and off, so I'm not sure that your idea will work in my situation. If I turn up the bass remote knob and have the gain turned up a little higher than 1/3 way it will "hum" or "flutter" pretty loud, especially when the engine is running. It also becomes more pronounced when I use the electric windows or sunroof.

It probably is the amp but I'd like to eliminate all possibilities before sending it in for repair. Thanks for your suggestion though, I appreciate any help :)

by racerraul » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:56 am

Use a muting plug on your bass amp & turn them on\off... the reason for using the muting plug is to zero the input signal at the amp.

A muting plug is an RCA with both conductors wires withing shorted. You can make your own out of a cheap set of RCA cables.

If you amp continues to make the on\off noise then indeed it is the problem and needs to be sent in for repairs... but if it stops then the noise is further up the chain...

by kevinberry1 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:27 am

I have to bump this old thread because I'm about to send my amp in for repair. One last piece of info though is that the "fluttering" noise from the subs can be heard when I use some other electrical device like the windows or sun roof. Is it still the amp if that happens or is it just not getting enough power?

Top