Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Weird activity please help diagnose

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Weird activity please help diagnose

Re: Weird activity please help diagnose

by Chris from Washington » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:17 am

Hi There,
Welcome to the forum, this one is a little hard to diagnose.

Without looking up the specs of the sub and amp, I'm assuming you're not running it at a lower impedance then the amp can handle right?
Ex. Running it at 2ohm when the amp can only go down to 4ohm bridged.

I don't think I've ever smelled a sub 'break-in' before, that seems odd to me. I know there is a break in period, but you shouldn't be smelling anything electrical.
How hot is your amp to the touch when things start acting up?

Weird activity please help diagnose

by Joshua Andrews » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:59 am

Okay so let me start by saying I bout the sub brand new about 4-5 months ago (Alpine type r 12d2) broke it in and had it mounted with magnet inside box q power hd 112 ( cubic air space is 1.50 tuned at 37 Hertz) and I have a quantum audio qs1500d 1500watt amp inside my scion TC /w brand new battery and alternator the day I put system in, I have 4gauge wire for POS and ground and 12 gauge for sub, well after the brake in some songs sounded awesome some not, I turned it with multi meter had my subsonic at about 35-40 lpf at about 100 and the higher bass notes made almost sounded forced and sometimes like it was blown sounding but every other note was amazing also I got on my headunit the bass is at -10 subwoofer set to +9 though anyways so I started messing with stuff and looked at Alpine user manual and it said it gains volume if you reverse mount it (magnet outside box) I did that and a world of clarity came everything sounded better but sometimes low notes sounded clear yet with a added sound it was odd and I would often smell the break in smell after playing some songs (that happened with both normal and reverse mount) well today I decided to turn the gain a bit down since head lights were dimming as well as turned the sub sonic up to about 40 and the lpf to about 70-80 and it was absolutely amazing sounded like a million dollars never had I had that great of power, clarity, and no smell well I stop at a light and right as the bass is about to hit it does for a millisecond then bam silence and I was like WTF seriously I just made the amp work easier and now it gives out well, it came back and sounded really distorted then cut off again and I have a toggle switch as a reminder and I thought ehh I'll turn it off bout 3 minutes later try again nothing then a hour later ( was on a road trip) still nothing so I stopped to get gas and before I shut car off I inspected the amp with REM on at this point the light showed it was working properly the protect mode was not on and I was like ehh **** it so I go inside pump gas and with the car turned off I tried it and bam it worked perfectly with clear sound started car and still works great, and all wires are not able to move neither is amp or speaker but I was just wondering could it be amp about to go out or maybe a short in my car itself, please give me advice/suggestions I tried to cover as much as possible so there isn't any grey area

Top