Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Old School Sub Box...

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Old School Sub Box...

by Tim » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Bwcad1 wrote:4 8's in that would be sweet.

Tis true. You could probably get some decent sound out of it then.


hmmmm....


Tim

by Bwcad1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:10 pm

4 8's in that would be sweet.

by Tim » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:04 pm

falkenbd wrote:Its kind of pointless now with all of the subwoofers that'll fit in small boxes.
Very few people like spending 2x as much on woofers for the same output, just to save the space.
Yeah thats true. but then it was kinda innovative. Back then they were very few if any, space saving subs, so it was a good idea. I didn't like the whole 4 6x9 thing either. Although I do like the concept, I wouldn't go that way now, and probably wouldn't have then either.

Tim

by falkenbd » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:32 am

Tim wrote:That was the cool thing about isobaric. But it never really took off. Back in the 90's I always wanted to experiment with the iso design and never did.
the best I remeber polk or infinity did a iso box that held 2 10's I beleive. One inside the box and one on the outside mounted face to face. I liked the thoughts behind the concept, that was about it though.
Tim
Its kind of pointless now with all of the subwoofers that'll fit in small boxes.

Very few people like spending 2x as much on woofers for the same output, just to save the space.

by Purple RS » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:19 pm

He posted me a link to a topic in http://www.PolkAudio.com/forums to a 6-year old thread about this box. It's the Polk Audio C4. Then it was 5-10 years old, and here's the specs from one of the posts...

-Driver complement - Four 6x9 drivers mounted in a isobaric push pull configuration
-Enclosure type - 4th order bandpass
-Frequency response - 25 to 150 Hertz
-Sensitivity - 94 db @ 1 Watt @ 1 Meter
-Recommended amplification - 25 to 200 Watts per channel
-Impedance - 4 Ohm stereo, 2 or 8 Ohm mono
-Dimensions - 8" H x 26.25" W x 17.125 D
-Weight - 26 pounds

by Tim » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:09 pm

Ryan from Ohio wrote:From all my readings, running iso wont yield you and more volume. It just allows you to run more speakers and cut the box volume in half.

That was the cool thing about isobaric. But it never really took off. Back in the 90's I always wanted to experiment with the iso design and never did.

the best I remeber polk or infinity did a iso box that held 2 10's I beleive. One inside the box and one on the outside mounted face to face. I liked the thoughts behind the concept, that was about it though.

Tim

by cargodz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:51 pm

After a being in a flood and from the conditions of the looks of the 6x9"s I'd think it's be lucky to even work :p
It is a nice lil space saving design though.

by Ryan from Ohio » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:57 am

loudwagon15s wrote:i'm really curious how this would sound or how loud it would get?
From all my readings, running iso wont yield you and more volume. It just allows you to run more speakers and cut the box volume in half.

by Bwcad1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:55 am

loudwagon15s wrote:i'm really curious how this would sound or how loud it would get?
Its probably as loud as a normal ported box. the chambers are not the correct proportions to increase the efficency.

by Purple RS » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:50 am

Ryan from Ohio wrote:Looks like its missing a cover.
Isobarik 4th order bandpass.
I'm sure he's got the cover, just removed it to show construction.

Top